Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

As I mentioned before, this is routinely done by, for instance, Agilent. You can buy some extra GHz by entering the license code. This is _not_ new nor hidden!

Pere

Reply to
oopere

I think you will find that somewhere in the small print it says that you agree to all their draconian terms and conditions by opening the shrink wrap packaging and clicking on OK or "I accept" during the installation where a long screed you are supposed to read is typically displayed.

I am amazed that they were quite so heavy handed though! I take it that they had a warrant to enter and search your premises.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

There is no benefit in censorship of any kind because of one simple question: "Who will decide what to censor?"

--
Andrew
Reply to

== Bog, have you never heard of per unit costs? Part of which is called BOM?

See above, i can repeat it one more time.

"Cost" affects the decision to manufacture or not to manufacture the particular products."

Price is the result of negiotiation between the seller and the buyer, ant not the pure function of cost. You will sell with a huge profit if you can or with a huge loss if it is the only way to recover at least some of the cost.

--
Andrew
Reply to

No. A disgruntled ex-employee (that's another story) called several software companies and told them we were cheating on licenses. PADS called us and asked about it, we explained (two paid licenses, one layout person) and they said OK. They must be used to disgruntled layout people. Autocad hired a law firm, or at least sicced one of their hired guns on us. Their doofus lawyer sent many nasty letters accusing us of things and demanding stuff. I wasted a *lot* of their time, just for fun and to make sure it cost Autodesk a bunch, and eventually sent them the stuff they demanded, basically xeroxes of the UPC tags on all of the Autodesk stuff we had. That was, like, 7 things, including one student copy of Autocad, which I offered to sell back to them. They didn't want it.

John

This is a discussion group, and I furnish material to discuss. You'd be happier posting to one of the cursing groups.

John

Right. Rigol just didn't lock it down hard enough.

John

I would think that a BIST routine would more than pay for itself just based on reduced warranty costs alone?

But I certainly don't see anything wrong with providing a "pay for" option for BIST if you want to.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Didn't you also do a blog about Rigol "overclocking" their ADCs? You've made a minor career out of trashing their scopes.

I like my 1052 so far.

John

I happen to agree with you John, I am a professional design engineer (and a director of an electronics company) and I see nothing wrong whatsoever in the way Rigol market these scopes. If they want to give you hardware that is capable of 100MHz operation but reduce it's capability and sell it as a

50MHz scope then they are quite entitled to do so, after all what you've paid for is a scope that's guaranteed to 50MHz. However, if they take that road and are stupid enough to allow someone to make a simple mod to recover the additional performance (or at least maybe some of it) then they take the consequences, people will do it!

But Rigol may well have not been as silly as we think. After all this has opened up a discussion about Rigol scopes to people who would maybe wouldn't have looked at them in detail. The general impression (overclocking ADCs aside) is that they are extremely good value for money in terms of price/performance. I for one have been looking closely at their combined scope/logic analyzers and am tempted to buy one, and that was on the basis of seeing this thread!

Proof though will be if Rigol complain to Youtube to have the video removed. I strongly suspect they won't bother (at least not yet), as that model may well be upgraded and that particular problem negated. In the meantime they get lots of publicity.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

type of behavior

You have no

screw over your

Whatever you do to earn a living, do you do it for free?

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Got a good source for decent probes? A set of probes often costs more than the (used) scope, which seem always to be missing their probes.

Reply to
krw

Still true. The brats are now to leach off mom and dad's insurance until age

26.
Reply to
krw

Might be beneficial. Fortunately we have a pretty good toe-hold in the market now. A year ago, not so much.

That line is in direct competition with the low end of our other intercom product line. It's not bad stuff, but rather stripped.

"Why doesn't it support ____? I said we needed ____. Didn't you read my email? No, I don't keep copies of all my emails."

Me: "I do."

Reply to
krw

Depends. If the customer superficially requests BIST, they pay for it. It may be useful in production also. ;-)

BIST is no different than any other option.

Reply to
krw

message

house

day you

Your

his

having

couch in

door?

Good question. The samplerate is probably variable which may lead to several aliasing issues. I doubt they took care of that. Even a simple FIR filter would require massive FPGA real estate. I suppose the filtering options are performed during post-processing. IIRC correct the memory bandwidth is also an issue. At the highest samplerate the record length is limited to a few KB.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hi Keith,

Do you guys worry much about 2.4GHz getting awfully crowded in the near future? Or do you figure that with all the whitespace devices out there, DTV, and the FCC wavering on just what is and isn't legal for wireless mics and intercoms anyway, UHF looks just as bad?

Joerg was pointing out to me recently that DTV stations today can be assigned adjacent channels and you just end up with a "wall of RF," without the large unoccupied channels you used to get with analog TV wherein frequency coordinators would often find *their* channels for wireless mics and intercoms.. This model:

... appears to address the problem by having a super-wide tuning range (470-698MHz). It's kinda an interesting design -- older FM technology, but just about every feature you could have without going to full-up digital... and the IRDA link between a belt pack and a PDA for configuration is kinda novel, I suppose -- but I wonder how much use it actually gets?

Their "competitive matrix"

comparing it with the venerable Telex BTR800 system is a little silly though... kinda like comparing a 2010 Camaro car to a '64 Mustang and dinging the Mustang for not having anti-lock brakes or airbags. :-)

Exactly. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not too much in the market we're in. We do have other plans but the 2.4G band is nice because it's world-wide (more or less and the less part is easily manageable).

I haven't looked seriously at their offerings. I should. IRDA? Why not BlueTooth. ;-) Disclaimer: I *hate* BlueTooth.

Our big seller into the rental market is configuration over Ethernet. It makes the thing a *lot* easier to set up than the arcane menus on the tiny LCD.

We used the BTR800 (I think that's the model) in the high-end sports product line until they bit the bullet and decided to do the engineering themselves (before my time). I still see them in the older units that come back each year for service.

I never ran into this problem when I worked for IBM. Everything was specified down to the smallest detail[*]. The workbooks were something to behold (easily tens of man-years in some of them).

[*] with the exception for the first generation crypto coprocessor key management - they didn't know what they wanted, just how it was to work.
Reply to
krw

Hi Keith,

That's is somewhat compelling.

I don't know how long those Pro850's have been on the market, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the better chunk of a decade now, and I remember that back around the turn of the century IRDA was still looking pretty attractive (it was quite cheap to implement too, especially if you only wanted the slower

115.2kbps version), whereas of course today it's become very nichey and is rapidly dying off (although those guys on eBay will sell you USB to IRDA adapters for line until they bit the bullet and decided to do the engineering themselves

Yep, that's the thing with the BTR800s -- they're long in the tooth and lacking many features, but what they do they do well and people just like them. I've heard of some guys who were trying out HME DX100's since they really wanted the smaller form factor but went back to BTR800s based on what they found to be better usability and audio quality.

Basically the BTR800 is largely the standard that you and I are both trying to displace. :-) Too bad you have some years worth of a head start amd appear to be rather successful! :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

attempt to

the

called=20

ant=20

the=20

You are too damn scattershot to follow. A proper direct answer was = required,=20 you gave many other things instead. Go away until you can give a = straight answer.

Reply to
JosephKK