Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

** It is a pile of absolute bollocks.

Dave has simply exposed a scam and there is nothing Rigol can do legally.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Fred Abse"

** Rigol were keeping customers in the dark about the real situation and exploiting it for profit - otherwise known as PULLING A SCAM !!

Now that customers are informed they can make a choice based on knowledge.

Rigol were obtaining benefit from a deception and that is criminal behaviour in any place outside China.

** Absolute drivel.

The moral thing to do when one uncovers a scam going on is to blow it wide open.

Been there and done that many times.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Maybe if you could figure out how your Usenet thingy works...

Reply to
krw

I think that _is_ interesting. Discuss it, please.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I find that funny considering it was you who started the ranting and also continued it ad nauseam. So why don't you just stop ranting and actually discuss that technical aspect if it interests you? Or is this just your way of trying to weasel out of the rather silly hole you found yourself in? :->

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

** Weasel Larkin is intent on digging that hole all the way the Sha Hee Town, Beijing .

His ugly face will pop up through Rigol's floor at any minute.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If he did, you'd have to kill him...

Michael A. Terrell

lol... I'm sure he'll fit right in!

Reply to
George Jefferson

And they do it sometimes. Patent system is an attempt to civilize that.

Of course. Problem is with people.

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Is there anybody in the entire world that doesn't rub the burr under your saddle the wrong way?

Reply to
Copacetic

Not so. I pointed out a possible legal issue, and brought the interesting but unresolved issue of how one amortizes and prices things, like firmware, that have no incremental cost to manufacture. Most perple here seem to feel that it's a ripoff to charge for such things, and a minority feel, as I do, that Rigol did nothing wrong and provides very good price:performance for both models. Rigol is like someone who used to leave their front door unlocked, until someone wandered in and stole something, so now they have to lock it.

But they should have used different LC filters for the 50 and 100 MHz signal trains. They probably underdamped the 100 MHz response so that the 50 Mhz wouldn't be too obviously first order; ugly compromise. The

20 MHz thing is very first order, with a long droopy rise.

I wonder if there's any harmonic or im distortion from the single varicap. FFTs would tell. Are the 20 MHz rise and fall times different? I'll take a loom when I get back to work.

You might have considered the dynamics of the varicap thing yourself. I guess I just don't like cracks.

John

And they do it sometimes. Patent system is an attempt to civilize that.

Of course. Problem is with people.

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

I think it's more like Rigol sells houses, and you bought a two-bedroom house (although you're aware they also sell three-bedroom houses)... and one day you notice (or Dave Jones metnions that) there's another door in your home. There's no lock on that door, no sign on it saying, "keep out!," etc. Your ne'er-do-well liberal democrat son moves back home after flunking out of his liberal studies program at the local college and you get to thinking... having that kid spend his nights in his own room rather than sleeping on the couch in the living room every night would be nice... I wonder what's behind that door?

:-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not entirely the same. It costs money to build rooms, but it costs nothing to enable IP. Both have market value.

But why didn't they do the 50 and even 20 MHz bandwidth limits digitally? They have 1G samples/second to work with. There are some saturation issues that might be best handled with analog limiting, but this *is* a cheap scope.

John

One possible reason is that with an analogue bandwidth limit, signals that would be aliased get attenuated before sampling.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

That more or less happened to the landlord of the apartment my #2 daughter shared with 2 friends at the University of Toronto: due to a code violation, he wasn't able to rent out one of the rooms in the apartment, so he gave them a discount instead.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

you

having

in

door?

But it's a 1 GHz sample rate. If it's analog limited to 100 MHz, they can do most anything with it. Decimating won't create aliases, will it?

John

house

you

having

in

door?

That depends on the steepness of the input filtering. It will need to roll-off more than 48dB not to have any aliasing products at fs/2. I doubt they decimate. 2GB/s is a lot to handle by the low cost FPGA they use (Altera Cyclone IIRC). I strongly doubt digital realtime filtering is feasible.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Nah, nail the door shut and throw the lazy bum out. He won't be a liberal Democrat long.

Reply to
krw

Sure he will, he needs to keep all those entitlements coming in so that he doesn't have to work any time soon. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner