Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

For those with a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope, you can now turn it into a
100MHz DS1102E with just a serial cable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhXfVYWYXE

Dave.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

**You're a bad man, Dave. A very bad man.

Nice one. Thanks.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:29:12 +1100, "David L. Jones"

What you have done is possibly a criminal act in the USA, using a
computer to deprive Rigol of revenue. In the US, "using a computer" to
perform an act can be a much more severe crime than the act itself.

I have some sympathy for Rigol here. Many of our products have an
option that can be enabled in firmware, and that we charge for. We put
a lot of engineering effort into the firmware, and need to be paid for
it. If buyers of my gear can order the cheaper one and make it into
the expensive one, by copying an EPROM maybe, or setting a bit in
flash somewhere, I can't recover the cost of the feature. The act is
arguably legal theft. It's certainly moral theft.

Products are increasingly IP and less hardware these days, and the IP
is expensive.

Of course, Rigol made it too easy. They will probably go back and make
it harder to do, and that will make the scope cost more in both
versions.

I recently got a 1052E, and it's a pretty nice scope. The digital
filtering is not perfect, but it's sure cute. It has way more goodies
than a comparable Tek for under half the price. I'll probably get a
few more.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mar 30, 8:03A0%pm, John Larkin

The design cost  is amortized over all the units. [Hey, don't worry
what the consults charges, it will go to zero as we sell a million
units.]

Rigol does themselves a disservice by having to maintain two
products.  They should just sell the higher speed scope, bomb the
market, and then own it.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

It's also very dishonest and goes to show why humanity will never make it
very far. People like Larkin are too arrogant to understand this. Do you
think people would buy their products if they knew that the only difference
between the low end and high end versions is the price? At the very least
they could have added some true functional improvement that made it
justifiable but simply changing the model number doesn't justify a 40% price
increase.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Fill me in one that please. (I do not waste bandwidth on youtube).

In this country, if I outrightly own item A and item B, what I do with
them is my business (legal restictions aside).

Where was the dishonest part?
Was their an agreement signed prohibiting use of some part on one of the
items

Well, the only difference with Casio calculators over the entire range
was the number of wires brought out from under the blob, but they still
sell like hot cakes.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Not even that, sometimes. My first casio (age ~13) had lots of extra
"hidden" functions (statistical). They just did not appear on the screen
printing on the keyboard overlay! But you could access them by just
pressing the buttons as if they were.

I suppose in the USA now I would be guilty of computer hacking, breaking
the DMCA and breaching license conditions, moral and legal theft.

--

John Devereux

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Hmmm, Rigol is the dishonest party here.

They sell you a device that's made with 100Mhz circuitry and then hold
it hostage until you pay more.

hamilton

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

hostage until you pay

It's their design, they can market and sell it whatever way they want to
optimise their profits.

Dishonesty would be promising 100MHz performance then delivering 50MHz
performance
with a demand for more money to get to 100MHz.

?

Nial

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

"Naive  Stewart"

" Hmmm, Rigol is the dishonest party here. "

**  Shame that if they told buyers the truth they would not get away with
it.

 Obtaining financial benefit by deception is the very definition of criminal
fraud.

** Nope  -   that would be blatant example of extortion.

    You ignorant dickhead.

....  Phil

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

"Phul (of it) Allinson"

fraud.

Fair enough, I agree completely with this statement.

If you pay for a scope they say has 50MHz bandwidth, they deliver a scope
that has a 50MHz bandwidth?

If you pay for a scope they say has 100MHz bandwidth, they deliver a scope
that has a 100MHz bandwidth?

Where is the deception?

performance

And dishonesty.

Perhaps a better example would be promising a scope with 100MHz bandwidth
then delivering 50MHz bandwidth.

People got exactly what they were prepared to pay for, and AFAIK were getting
good value for money.

I don't know much about classical music, or opera (apart from Gilbert and
Sullivan),
or classical languages, or modern languages, or have read much 'great' literature
so in many ways I am ignorant.

I'll leave the dickhead judgement to my friends.

Nial

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I'm afraid I'm not lowering myself to your level Phil.

Where does all that frustration come from?

I don't know where you get that from.

Nial.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I've just realised it's early morning there, have you been drinking (alot)?

Well done!

Nope, still not a 'Pom'.

Nial.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

  Maybe he paid full price for a DS1102E ?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Are you really that ignorant? So I create a 100Mhz scope and sale it for X
dollars as a 100Mhz scope. I then slap a new sticker on the 100Mhz scope and
call it a 50Mhz scope and sale it for Y dollars.

Now, if my profit margins for the 100Mhz scope was not that high then how
could I make profit on the "new" 50Mhz scope? Either they jacked up the
profit margin significantly to be able to do this trick or they are making
virtually no profit on the 50Mhz scope.

BUT! If they are making no profit on the 50Mhz scope then why not just
reduce the price of the 100Mhz scope in the first place?

They are exactly trying to simply get into a market that the 100Mhz scope
can't because of it's higher price. They can lower the price, pretend it's a
crappier version and then increase their market size for three reasons.
Those that can't and never will buy the 100Mhz version but will buy the
50Mhz and those that are lured in by the 50Mhz version and decide "I might
as well get the 100Mhz version since it's just a "little more"". Also those
that buy the 50Mhz version may decide to buy the more powerful one as an
"upgrade"... which in fact there is no real upgrade involved.

The dishonesty is in the tactics they use and tells you a lot about what
they think of their customers. This, of course, is not a new trick.

The dishonesty part is equivalent to lying. If you called them and asked
them about it do you really think they will tell you they are exactly the
same hardware with just a firmware change to cripple the cheaper version?

You can hide behind the cloak of capitalism all you want but this is not
capitalism but outright theft.

How do we know you are wrong and I'm right? Very easily... call up rigol and
ask them about the difference between the models. If they are honest they
will tell you there is only a firmware difference. If they are dishonest
they will make up something that we already know is false. The street name
for this kinda shit is lying. You may be confused by the big word dishonesty
but maybe one day you'll figure it out.

Of course this is not necessarily criminal but is walking the fine line. An
ethical company would not implement such practices. I don't know about
you(well, I guess I do) but I'd rather do business with a company that isn't
out to screw me.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I was going to type out a lengthy reply but you're obviously not open to
reasoned debate.

Would you accuse AMD of 'outright theft' for selling 4 core processors as
3 core processors?

http://www.guru3d.com/news/phenom-ii-x3--enable-the-4th-core /

Nial

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:44:14 +0100, "Nial Stewart"

The difference there is that you don't have access to AMD's
verification/test suite which shows some of the functionality on one
of the cores as broken so it would be marked as bad and disabled. It
is certainly the same die as the 4 core processor but it may not have
passed all the tests.

If you're upset at paying more for the same die, you don't even have
to go as far as different number of cores. Any CPU you buy today (from
AMD, Intel or IBM etc.) has different speed versions with different
pricing while it's exactly the same die. The only difference is how
they're binned (and testing may or may not have shown an issue with
lower binned/priced parts.)
--
Muzaffer Kal

DSPIA INC.