Transformer parts - Page 2

Re: Transforming groups

On Sun, 07 May 2006 19:53:40 +1000, The Real Andy

I will certainly second that.

Re: Transforming groups

On Sun, 07 May 2006 19:53:40 +1000, The Real Andy

You must be very constipated in that case.

Re: Transforming groups

If people really wanna know what i reckon they can always email me.

That group above isn't as easy to use as this one, and until all these
little discussion groups get their act together
to make it easy and fast, I see little reason to join in.

Since Feb I have spent 20dB more effort in preparing the 4th Edition of
my website which is up to
about 12Mb and the value **I get** from the exercize and the value that
interested readers is far greater than what I'd get from just having a
presence in groups.

After being in the groups for 5 years I have learnt a lot, but I have
learnt more in my daily
grind of pleasing customers.

I don't have the time to be a groupster any more than i am, and besides,
the tubecraft postings at r.a.t
have dwindled to less than the noise of blokes comparing dick sizes and
doing communal insultings.
5 years ago there were 100 posts related to tube craft per day and
mainly gentlemen who drowned out the agro.

The time has come for me to stop caring too much about the damn groups.

Better I say what i have to on a site, take it or leave it.

Patrick Turner.

Re: Transforming groups

Ah but Patrick m'dear, isn't that what newsgroups are really all about?

Re: Transforming groups

I'm here for the tubes. Dick size I don't care about.

Tips for the guy who has an unimpressive richard :-

Do it twice to her instead of once.

Use it faster to make up the distance travelled by your longer richard
brothers.

If neither work, marry a girl who goes to church.

Patrick Turner.

Re: Transforming groups

I'll leave it.

Re: Transformer parts

On Tue, 2 May 2006 15:06:57 +0800, "TT"

Terry, where are Jute's posts?  Apart from the one quoted by Patrick
(which doesn't read like Jute anyway) I can't find them. I smell a rat
here.

Re: Transformer parts

by Patrick
smell a rat

The thread "Scum that make me ashamed to be an Australian"
by Andre Jute.  He attacks several of the good guys ;-)  It
is so Monty Pythonesque it is funny actually and I have been
accused of a *Taunting*.  A passing acquaintance of Python's
Holy Grail is must here :-)

Cheers TT

<see below>

Andre Jute wrote to Philip Allison:

"> Congratulations on proving once again that you are a more
useful
member
audiophile) than
necessary after
possibility that
sort of

I used to be tough on the cultural cringers and others who
apologized
for being Australian. But now I understand how they feel,
after I saw
TT ( snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au) and Alan Rutlidge
(don't_spam_me snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au) and the rest of that
aus.hi-fi
trailer park trash (1) in action, taunting Phil, then
complaining that
he abuses them. They should be abused, indeed stepped on
hard enough to
wipe them. They're bullying scum.

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for farmyard bullies

(1) And in more moral times, that British loudmouth Mark
Harriss
( snipped-for-privacy@blartco.co.uk) would have been deported to father
more criminal
progeny like TT and Rutlidge, on sheep of course.

Re: Transformer parts

Just a cautionary note. Creating good quality transformers yourself is no
mean feat. The construction has to be very precise, in terms of gaps and
compactness of windings, selection of wire gauges and in the case of audio,
core design and material (many suppliers cater only for the mains market at
50 Hz). And you don't find out how well you've done until the job's
finished,  if there are problems it's a matter of more or less starting
again.

The other aspect you might want to consider with valve audio is safety. With
the primary running at several hundred volts DC with a fair size capacitor
behind it, any failure in the interwinding insulation could result in a
serious hazard. At very least, it would be worth finding out what you can
about insulation techniques and standards.

Good luck and you'll certainly learn a lot, but getting a premade item is
likely to save you a lot of time and trouble, even if it costs somewhat
more.

Re: Transformer parts

"bruce varley"

** Like these nice Canadian made "Hammond" ones from EVATCO:

  http://www.evatco.com.au/hamprice.htm

.......   Phil

Re: Transformer parts

Nice maybe, but I object to paying nearly twice the US$ price :(

Type 1645 in USA (according to Hammond catalogue) retails for around US$65,
the part here retails for around AU$161, the US price is around AU$89. I'm
sure there is *some* justification for this byt nearly *twice* the price ?

Anyway Phil, thanks for the link. If all else fails (it usually does :) )
I'll have to grit my teeth and shell out the extra.

Re: Transformer parts

"Steve Andrew"

**  Then you are a foolish tight wad.

**  A fantastically cheap price to begin with.

     You have no idea.

**  The reasons are simple:

Freight, insurance, import & handling costs, storage, low sales volume, dead
stock....

The $ price ratio is only 1.8 times   -  lower than for most *US made*
products sold in Australia.

**  EVATCO has some cheaper valve output transformers ( made in Asia I
expect) so why not call Arthur and see what the situation is.

http://www.evatco.com.au/tranch.htm

.......   Phil

Re: Transformer parts

Years ago (decades actually :( ), I had a very nice set of nomographs,
published as I recall by the then Wireless World. A great number of the
nomographs covered various aspects of transformer design which I used with
good results. I made the error of lending them to somebody who managed to
lose them. I guess it's a case of getting the older books out, along with my
trusy old guessing stick (slide rule) and starting from scratch.

Point taken. I made many HT transformers in the early 70's and learned the
hard way, with a home-made choke just what happens when poor quality
insulation breaks down.

If I could get something like Hammond transformers in Oz, at a similar price
to those charged in the USA and Canada I would not hesitate to do so. I may
well go that route. I'm curious at this stage to see just how much cheaper a
good quiality audio transformer can be 'hand rolled', as opposed to paying
the grossly inflated prices for an imported item. I have time on my hands so
I'm not worried about the time taken to wind them.

Thanks again for your input.

Re: Transformer parts

@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

In Melbourne (dandenong) you can probably get most of this stuff from
Southern Electronic Services. They do manufacture O/P trannies. They will
probably supply parts if you ask Scott nicely. Their designs are
conservative and will last a lifetime.

Site Timeline