Traffic Lights...

There is a new set of traffic lights near my place that has two
different lights for the pedestrian crossings, the usual one with the
little man, and another one attached on the side with the symbol of a
bike.
They both go red/green together (that I have noticed anyway) and there
is of course only one pedestrian button.
I find it most puzzling, and can't figure out why the extra bike light
is needed, anyone got any idea?

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

"David L. Jones Total Dickhead "

** It is normally illegal to ride a bike across a pedestrian crossing.

See rule 248:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p15.pdf

Must be something special about your new crossing  -  like it is part of a
designated bike path.

.......  Phil

Re: Traffic Lights...

A bike probably is considered to be a vehicle (it is for purpose of
drink-driving laws in QLD) and therefore probably not allowed on a
pedestrian crossing.

With all the traffic congestion problems, environmental issues of
vehicle use, and  the "obesity epidemic", governments seem to be
bending over backwards to do anything they can to encourage use of
bicycles and walking, providing extensive walkways, bike paths etc,
this is probably another way to encourage bicycle usage.

Crossing might also be near or part of a bike path and this makes life
easier for riders.

Re: Traffic Lights...

Yes, there appears to be a designated bike path in at least one road
approaching the intersection.
But the thing I don't get is that the bike light does not appear to
work independendly from the pedestrial crossing light, so presumably
the bike rider would still have to press the pedestrian button to
cross.
I have not seen any seperate light cycle specifically for the bike.

Perhaps it is just to indicate "the designated bike path crosses the
road here"?

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

"David L. Jones Total Dickhead "

**  ROTFL    !!

Course he has to when the light is red,  if he does not want to get mown
down by a bus  -   dickhead !!

** Jones is a real hoot  -   ought to do stand up on TV   !!

   Almost compete with  " Steady Eddy "  maybe.

** It allows the bike rider to  RIDE across the crossing without breaking
the law.

    Imbecile  !!!

........  Phil

Re: Traffic Lights...

Fair enough.

Phil, any truth to the wide spread rumour you will be setting up a
stall at this years Wyong field day to peddle toasters and offer a
free signed T-Shirt to all attendees?:
http://void.printf.net/~tef/photos/tshirt/tef_tourette.jpg

I also heard you will be giving a half day lecture on inspection,
testing and reporting of faulty IEC mains leads? I'm afraid I won't be
able to make it, but will course notes be available?

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

 "David L. Jones Total Dickhead "

**  I take my comment it back, Jones is no competition for Steady Eddy.

      Steady Eddy's routines are actually funny.

........   Phil

Re: Traffic Lights...

Please circulate the video.

Re: Traffic Lights...

    If you really want to know all the boring details about Bicycle
Crossing Lights, download this PDF file from the RTA NSW website:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p15.pdf
and read Rules 260, 261 & 262 starting on page 8.
    Very soporific stuff.

Bob

Re: Traffic Lights...

website:http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p15.pdf

They left out the part about having to push the pedestrian button.
Must be lots of confused bike riders still sitting at the lights
waiting for them to turn Green! :->

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

All bike riders are confused or they would not want to ride on
motorways.
They even ride on the M7 (Western Sydney) when there is a separate and
safer dedicated track for them built safely away from the motorway at
immense cost.

--

John G

Re: Traffic Lights...

I've seen that on the M7, future Darwin Award winners for sure.

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

Does it go up and down every hill while the motorway is cut through
them?

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Traffic Lights...

Yes it goes up and down some small rises in western Sydney which is
generally flatish.
We are not talking about the Blue Mountains here
Anyway I thought one of the advantages of cycling was the exercise.
--
John G

Re: Traffic Lights...

Most people don't like to do it tough, if there is an easier option
they will take it.
Same at the gym.

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

It's probably just wired in parallel to the pedestrian walk light.  I
don't see why they would have a separate crossing cycle (pun not
intended) for bikes and pedestrians, and I doubt the pedestrians would
respect it if they did.

It's likely to be just a dead-simple "idiot-proof way" of telling
cyclists - regadless of how low their IQ is. -  that its ok to ride a
bike across THAT crossing, by having a pretty outline of a bike that
turns green or red.  .

(lets face it, there is NO shortage of lame-brains in this country
now)

Re: Traffic Lights...

Usually the idea is that the bike indicator goes  on and off without
the need for a press of the button - just so the rider doesn't have to
dismount.. It usually mirrors the pedestrian light, but should be
functioning with or without Joe Bloggs pushing the crossing button.

It could also be wired incorrectly :-).

- Rob.

Re: Traffic Lights...

I know of intersection like this on my way home. It has an inductive
sensor in the bike lane. When the bike light is lit, the traffic has a
red turning arrow.

Re: Traffic Lights...

Ah-ha, so some of them actually do something useful!

Dave :)

Re: Traffic Lights...

All bike+pedestrian crossings I can recall have the pedestrian
flashing red whilst the bike stays green. It only changes to red when
the main lights go to amber.

Site Timeline