Traffic Lights...

There is a new set of traffic lights near my place that has two different lights for the pedestrian crossings, the usual one with the little man, and another one attached on the side with the symbol of a bike. They both go red/green together (that I have noticed anyway) and there is of course only one pedestrian button. I find it most puzzling, and can't figure out why the extra bike light is needed, anyone got any idea?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones Total Dickhead "

** It is normally illegal to ride a bike across a pedestrian crossing.

See rule 248:

Must be something special about your new crossing - like it is part of a designated bike path.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A bike probably is considered to be a vehicle (it is for purpose of drink-driving laws in QLD) and therefore probably not allowed on a pedestrian crossing.

With all the traffic congestion problems, environmental issues of vehicle use, and the "obesity epidemic", governments seem to be bending over backwards to do anything they can to encourage use of bicycles and walking, providing extensive walkways, bike paths etc, this is probably another way to encourage bicycle usage.

Crossing might also be near or part of a bike path and this makes life easier for riders.

Reply to
kreed

Yes, there appears to be a designated bike path in at least one road approaching the intersection. But the thing I don't get is that the bike light does not appear to work independendly from the pedestrial crossing light, so presumably the bike rider would still have to press the pedestrian button to cross. I have not seen any seperate light cycle specifically for the bike.

Perhaps it is just to indicate "the designated bike path crosses the road here"?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones Total Dickhead "

** ROTFL !!

Course he has to when the light is red, if he does not want to get mown down by a bus - d*****ad !!

** Jones is a real hoot - ought to do stand up on TV !!

Almost compete with " Steady Eddy " maybe.

** It allows the bike rider to RIDE across the crossing without breaking the law.

Imbecile !!!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Fair enough.

Phil, any truth to the wide spread rumour you will be setting up a stall at this years Wyong field day to peddle toasters and offer a free signed T-Shirt to all attendees?:

I also heard you will be giving a half day lecture on inspection, testing and reporting of faulty IEC mains leads? I'm afraid I won't be able to make it, but will course notes be available?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones Total Dickhead "

** I take my comment it back, Jones is no competition for Steady Eddy.

Steady Eddy's routines are actually funny.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Please circulate the video.

Reply to
Otter

If you really want to know all the boring details about Bicycle Crossing Lights, download this PDF file from the RTA NSW website:

and read Rules 260, 261 & 262 starting on page 8. Very soporific stuff.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

website:

They left out the part about having to push the pedestrian button. Must be lots of confused bike riders still sitting at the lights waiting for them to turn Green! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I know of intersection like this on my way home. It has an inductive sensor in the bike lane. When the bike light is lit, the traffic has a red turning arrow.

Reply to
The Real Andy

It's probably just wired in parallel to the pedestrian walk light. I don't see why they would have a separate crossing cycle (pun not intended) for bikes and pedestrians, and I doubt the pedestrians would respect it if they did.

It's likely to be just a dead-simple "idiot-proof way" of telling cyclists - regadless of how low their IQ is. - that its ok to ride a bike across THAT crossing, by having a pretty outline of a bike that turns green or red. .

(lets face it, there is NO shortage of lame-brains in this country now)

Reply to
kreed

Ah-ha, so some of them actually do something useful!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

All bike riders are confused or they would not want to ride on motorways. They even ride on the M7 (Western Sydney) when there is a separate and safer dedicated track for them built safely away from the motorway at immense cost.

--
John G
Reply to

I've seen that on the M7, future Darwin Award winners for sure.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Usually the idea is that the bike indicator goes on and off without the need for a press of the button - just so the rider doesn't have to dismount.. It usually mirrors the pedestrian light, but should be functioning with or without Joe Bloggs pushing the crossing button.

It could also be wired incorrectly :-).

- Rob.

Does it go up and down every hill while the motorway is cut through them?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Yes it goes up and down some small rises in western Sydney which is generally flatish. We are not talking about the Blue Mountains here Anyway I thought one of the advantages of cycling was the exercise.

-- John G

Reply to
John G

Most people don't like to do it tough, if there is an easier option they will take it. Same at the gym.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

All bike+pedestrian crossings I can recall have the pedestrian flashing red whilst the bike stays green. It only changes to red when the main lights go to amber.

Reply to
rowan194