Toyota Corolla key fob bleeper

Does anyone know what is in these devices, what the power source is and most importantly, how to get into the little suckers. My wife's (Year

2000, 1.6L petrol stationwagon) bleeper died last night, necessitating a rescue, and without the bleeper, the car is a dead duck. Everything else is OK as my spare bleeper worked, but I'd like to get the other one working. What's in there ?. cheers M
Reply to
moby

"moby"

** Read your bloody handbook - you moby DICKHEAD.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Clearly a problem that is unlikely to affect you Phil. After all you neither drive or own a car.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"moby" wrote

Does anyone know what is in these devices, what the power source is and most importantly, how to get into the little suckers. My wife's (Year

2000, 1.6L petrol stationwagon) bleeper died last night, necessitating a rescue, and without the bleeper, the car is a dead duck. Everything else is OK as my spare bleeper worked, but I'd like to get the other one working. What's in there ?.

**** ER,just WTF is a bleeper? Perhaps a ewe with laryngiitis?

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

Um...If you're talking about the remote for the central locking I wouldn't have thought the car would be useless without it?????? But to be honest I thought a bleeper was a thing that covered up swearing in radio / TV programmes. For what its worth I have a 2003 Corolla and the key fob for the central locking comes apart very easily, just drop it on the ground about 150 times.

James

Reply to
James

There's a user-replaceable lithium coin cell in my wife's Toyota RAV4 remote, although it's couple of years older than your Corolla.

Does the case for remote have a seam around the middle? If so, there's probably one small section that's wider than the rest, and this is where you prise it apart with a knife blade or something similar.

If that's not what yours is like, then maybe they've moved away from user battery replacement. I suggest you go to your local Toyota dealer and ask them what to do - if your remote comes apart, they'll know, and may even show you what to do if you ask nicely.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

Thanks, James - unfortunately the central locking remote (bleeper) also activates an immobilisation function - no power to the ignition circuitry (though the dash telltales still function) and there is no crack at the seam - it appears to be plastic welded together and I'd rather not hacksaw it unless absolutely necessary. There is also a transponder in the key itself. It is a long way from the Morris Minor in terms of electrical sophistication (probably where the twit who says read the handbook's car knowledge ends) and they no longer include a wiring diagram in the handbook. M

Reply to
moby

With these there is an over-ride function, there should be a slot to put this in hidden in the glovebox to disable the remote and then you are able to use your key to lock+immobilise and unlock+unmobilise the car.

There was a certain combination that was required, inserting it and turning the ignition on and off in a certain pattern to enable just the key control to do all the above.

This was a feature that is not very well documented, actually don't think it is documented. I needed this info to put on a secondary alarm system to tie in with the remote without having to have my alarm system to a remote to open/close and do factory immobilise.

I tried to bypass the factory immobilise >

Reply to
Desmond Wong

A new remote is more than likely needed. It will probably have to be programmed/allocated to the bcm by your toyota dealer. You should be able to override the immobiliser function somehow as the transponder in most of the remote keys are unpowered.

R1rob

Reply to
R1rob

On Mon, 29 May 2006 12:27:47 GMT, "R1rob" put finger to keyboard and composed:

IIRC, earlier Toyota key fobs could be reprogrammed by the owner via a slot in the glovebox. I think you just needed a working remote to copy the codes from.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Good function. Pity the holden remotes aren't like this. Having to buy a new one when the battery is flat is absolute CRAP.

Reply to
R1rob

There are several versions - some are user replaceable CR2032 - others are soldered and glued. On our Camry, it is sealed. $38 (IIRC) and you can get a new one from Scarboro Toyota. Ask nicely and they will program it for free instead of $20.

Reply to
Shaw