Touch lights...

We have two touch-lights on our bedside cabinets. Last night they both turned on at the same time without any contact. Could anyone explain how this could happen? At the same time, a Panasonic cordless phone, which is connected to the same GPO, gave out a single beep, the same sound it makes when you put it down on the cradle. This has my wife spooked and I really would like a logical explanation that would satisfy her (and Me?).

Thanks to those brave enough to hazard an explanation ...

DD

Reply to
DD

Obviously poltergeists. I can't think of any explanation. Seriously, though, I'd say it was probably just a spike on the mains supply, possibly from lightning or another external cause. Otherwise, a fridge or similar appliance switching can cause this, during switch-on or switch-off. You can be pretty sure that it has an electrical cause, not supernatural(superelectrical?). ... Steve

Reply to
Steve

Do a test for me.

Unplug the lights, wait a minute, then plug them back in. Do they turn on?

If not, unplug them again, and wait a shorter period, say 1 or 2 seconds. Do they turn on?

If so, you just had a short power outage. Many cordless phones beep when the mains power returns from a blackout.

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

I tend to dissagree with the postings so far. This is definately supernataral stuff going on here, no question. Just think how touch-lights work?! A spike or outage or even a dip cannot cause this phenomenon.

I think you should hang pouches of garlic around the offending equipment - indeed add a sprig of rosemary & thyme if need be.

Did you hear a 'BOO' at anytime immediately before or after ther incident?

Reply to
Bobby

Maybe Bob needs to invent something that'll measure ghost capacitance.

Reply to
Russ

You're implying that ghosts have an electrical charge. If so, what sort of voltage are they, and how many amps can they deliver. Could a haunted house produce enough electricty to power all of your household appliances? I imagine they would be DC so an inverter would be required to power most appliances. Can you connect ghosts in series to increase the voltage? Do they need recharging? Could a cemetery contain enough ghosts to power a small town?

Elmo

Reply to
Elmo

I tried to power a strobe tube from a ghost once. Didn't work very well.

The spirit was willing but the flash was weak.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Just how long have you been waiting for a chance to do that line, Bob? :-)

Peter

Reply to
Pete

I just suddenly thought of it. Atrocious, isn't it? :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks for all the interest, I can't find anything supernatural and I have been unable to reproduce the effect. I tried switching on and of as suggested but nothing happened , the lights just stayed off! I had a look in a spare bedroom where we also have two touch lights and they were on too! Must be electrical but I would love to know how it can happen.

DD

Phil > Do a test for me.

Reply to
DD

Saw this problem over 10 years ago with touch lamps and telephones being interfered with by the RF radiated from a HF (Ham) radio being operated on 80 metres (3.5MHz). The touch lamps would go crazy and the telephones were unusable while the HF rig was keyed up.

Any new antennas in your proximity? Or maybe an existing ham may have got himself a new amplifier....

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yes indeed. For Ghosts the square of the mean ripple current is equal to twice the velocity of EMF divided by four times the current delivered into one goul of energy. So therefore it would take six Ghosts connected in series three days and two nights to generate enough power to provide energy to the average household. However one must bear in mind the losses encounted due to the necessary use of an inverter as practically all modern day Ghosts are DC. Getting back to the original post - I suspect the single BEEP was caused by a Ghost farting.

Reply to
Bobby

Thanks, I have had a good look around but have not noticed any Ham antennas but will keep looking. The nearest antennae array that I know of is about a mile away but that has been there for yonks.

DD

Andy wrote:

Reply to
DD

Also have experienced this problem when a complaint was made about irregularities in the mains supply causing a garage door to keep opening plus other odd effects. Turned out to be a small boat radar (the home was on a waterfront).

Reply to
Suzy