Touch lights...

    We have two touch-lights on our bedside cabinets. Last night they both
turned on at the same time without any contact. Could anyone explain how
this could happen? At the same time, a Panasonic cordless phone, which
is connected to the same GPO, gave out a single beep, the same sound it
makes when you put it down on the cradle. This has my wife spooked and I
really would like a logical explanation that would satisfy her (and Me?).

Thanks to those brave enough to hazard an explanation ...

DD

Re: Touch lights...

Obviously poltergeists. I can't think of any explanation.
Seriously, though, I'd say it was probably just a spike on the mains supply,
possibly from lightning or another external cause. Otherwise, a fridge or
similar appliance switching can cause this, during switch-on or switch-off.
You can be pretty sure that it has an electrical cause, not
supernatural(superelectrical?).
... Steve

Re: Touch lights...

Do a test for me.

Unplug the lights, wait a minute, then plug them back in. Do they turn on?

If not, unplug them again, and wait a shorter period, say 1 or 2 seconds. Do
they turn on?

If so, you just had a short power outage. Many cordless phones beep when the
mains power returns from a blackout.

Re: Touch lights...
    Thanks for all the interest, I can't find anything supernatural and I
have been unable to reproduce the effect. I tried switching on and  of
as suggested but nothing happened , the lights just stayed off! I had a
look in a spare bedroom where we also have two touch lights and they
were on too! Must be electrical but I would love to know how it can happen.

DD

Re: Touch lights...

I tend to dissagree with the postings so far.
This is definately supernataral stuff going on here, no question.
Just think how touch-lights work?! A spike or outage or even a dip cannot
cause this phenomenon.

I think you should hang pouches of garlic around the offending equipment -
indeed add a sprig of rosemary & thyme if need be.

Did you hear a 'BOO' at anytime immediately before or after ther incident?

Re: Touch lights...

Maybe Bob needs to invent something that'll measure ghost capacitance.

Re: Touch lights...

You're implying that ghosts have an electrical charge. If so, what sort
of voltage are they, and how many amps can they deliver. Could a haunted
house produce enough electricty to power all of your household
appliances? I imagine they would be DC so an inverter would be required
to power most appliances. Can you connect ghosts in series to increase
the voltage? Do they need recharging? Could a cemetery contain enough
ghosts to power a small town?

Elmo

Re: Touch lights...

    I tried to power a strobe tube from a ghost once. Didn't work very well.

    The spirit was willing but the flash was weak.

Re: Touch lights...

Just how long have you been waiting for a chance to do that line, Bob?  :-)

Peter

Re: Touch lights...

    I just suddenly thought of it. Atrocious, isn't it? :-)

Bob

Re: Touch lights...

Yes indeed. For Ghosts the square of the mean ripple current is equal to
twice the velocity of EMF divided by four times the current delivered into
one goul of energy.
So therefore it would take six Ghosts connected in series three days and two
nights to generate enough power to provide energy to the average household.
However one must bear in mind the losses encounted due to the necessary use
of an inverter as practically all modern day Ghosts are DC.
Getting back to the original post - I suspect the single BEEP was caused by
a Ghost farting.

Re: Touch lights...

Saw this problem over 10 years ago with touch lamps and telephones
being interfered with by the
RF radiated from a HF (Ham) radio being operated on 80 metres
(3.5MHz). The touch lamps would
go crazy and the telephones were unusable while the HF rig was keyed
up.

Any new antennas in your proximity? Or maybe an existing ham may have
got himself a new amplifier....

Andy

Re: Touch lights...
    Thanks, I have had a good look around but have not noticed any Ham
antennas but will keep looking. The nearest antennae array that I know
of is about a mile away but that has been there for yonks.

DD

Re: Touch lights...

Also have experienced this problem when a complaint was made about
irregularities in the mains supply causing a garage door to keep opening
plus other odd effects. Turned out to be a small boat radar (the home was on
a waterfront).

Site Timeline