Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

Typical Prospective Purchaser Question: Where is the wind screen wiper switch, and how many speeds?

Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:

1000's of electronic items

Reply to
Don McKenzie

L.A.T.

On one of the LCD touch screens presumably and infinitely variable.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Technology at its finest.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

sorry Graham, no cigar. there is a real switch there. any other takers?

I also notice just above the throttle controls, there is a video screen that reveals a camera high in the tail section.

A noticable percentage of aircraft investigative stories on TV, tell us of planes falling out of the sky because an engine catches on fire, falls off the wing, or wing sections are damaged or missing.

Lack of communication between the passengers/staff, and the cockpit often results in pilots making incorrect decisions by shutting down a good engine, or any of a multitude of errors, given the information at their fingertips.

I often wondered why external cameras were never used on large aircraft, when so many vehicles now have reversing CCTV monitoring systems.

How about the notice taped to the door. A professional touch.

Did you see catch me if you can? Spot the jump seat?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
http://www.wizard-from-oz.com 1000\'s of electronic items
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Yeah, on the roof, just above the windscreen.

2 Speed wipers. Even the passenger has a control of their own :-p

8<

I like the presumption that when they do have to escape, the aircraft will be upright so they can use the escape rope!

Reply to
Ray

I wonder what the two dome type things are below the QWERTY keyboard in the center console?

Where's the Dixie horn?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Without going back to look, I think you'll find they're trackballs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

These aircraft are built in both sexes ?

Reply to
clanker

Look! I can see HAL just above the engine fire warning indicators...

Reply to
swanny

ard-from-oz.com1000's of electronic items

It appears there is an exposed loom/tubing on ties, which goes from pilots window, under escape rope to rear seat. Looks a bit untidy, like an after-design.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

Maybe that's one of the early ones where a mismatch between 2 versions of their CAD system resulted in wiring looms that were too short ? I guess it had to be 'bodged'. A MAJOR cause of the launch delay.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

their CAD system resulted in wiring looms that

ch delay.

I thought that the looms in error were only a few inches short? You could be right though. Another possibility is that it is a temporary loom for monitoring of some parameter on test flights.

I read somewhere that the looms have a lot of aluminium wires. That must produce a lot of engineering challenges such as fatigue cracks, difficulty of crimp terminations, oxide layers. I think I also remember reading that the CAD system was optimised for the bend radius of copper wire, and the use of alluminium created errors.

Geoff

Reply to
geoffjunkster