Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

Typical Prospective Purchaser Question:
Where is the wind screen wiper switch, and how many speeds?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit
My wife spotted it. Look behind the pilot's seat. There is the laptop that
causes planes to fall out of the sky!

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

On one of the LCD touch screens presumably and infinitely variable.

Graham

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

sorry Graham, no cigar.
there is a real switch there.
any other takers?

I also notice just above the throttle controls, there is a video screen
that reveals a camera high in the tail section.

A noticable percentage of aircraft investigative stories on TV, tell us
of planes falling out of the sky because an engine catches on fire,
falls off the wing, or wing sections are damaged or missing.

Lack of communication between the passengers/staff, and the cockpit
often results in pilots making incorrect decisions by shutting down a
good engine, or any of a multitude of errors, given the information at
their fingertips.

I often wondered why external cameras were never used on large aircraft,
when so many vehicles now have reversing CCTV monitoring systems.

How about the notice taped to the door. A professional touch.

Did you see catch me if you can? Spot the jump seat?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

Yeah, on the roof, just above the windscreen.
2 Speed wipers.
Even the passenger has a control of their own :-p

8<

I like the presumption that when they do have to escape, the aircraft
will be upright so they can use the escape rope!

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

Technology at its finest.

Graham

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

I wonder what the two dome type things are below the QWERTY keyboard
in the center console?

Where's the Dixie horn?

Dave.

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

Without going back to look, I think you'll find they're trackballs.

Graham

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

These aircraft are built in both sexes ?

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

Look! I can see HAL just above the engine fire warning indicators...

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

It appears there is an exposed loom/tubing on ties, which goes from
pilots window, under escape rope to rear seat. Looks a bit untidy,
like an after-design.

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

Maybe that's one of the early ones where a mismatch between 2 versions of their
CAD system resulted in wiring looms that
were too short ? I guess it had to be 'bodged'. A MAJOR cause of the launch
delay.

Graham

Re: Totally OT: Airbus A380 - cockpit

I thought that the looms in error were only a few inches short? You
could be right though. Another possibility is that it is a temporary
loom for monitoring of some parameter on test flights.

I read somewhere that the looms have a lot of aluminium wires. That
must produce a lot of engineering challenges such as fatigue cracks,
difficulty of crimp terminations, oxide layers. I think I also
remember reading that the CAD system was optimised for the bend radius
of copper wire, and the use of alluminium created errors.

Geoff

Site Timeline