Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

Hello, I was in the process of building a plasma TV lift but after reading an article in the local papers, I am beginning to doubt if building one was a good idea. The article claims that moving a plasma TV when it is powered up will reduce the life of the plasma panel. Is this true?

What about when the plasma is powered down? When not turned on, will frequent raising and lowering of the panel cause damage in the long term?

Nexarone

Reply to
Nexarone

uhhh... solid state device -> sounds like bullshit to me.

up

Reply to
Craig Hart

Transport in a vehicle when screen is horizontal may be a problem. Note how all plasmas are shipped vertical. I think in your instance, with the screen vertical, you won't have any problems.

up

Reply to
bemw

Plasmas have a short life anyway. Make the lift and use your plasma. It WILL die after about 2-3 years, regardless of the lift. Then get an LCD TV to fit the same bracket.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

they only ship vertically for two basic reasons: horonal = much easier for things to be dropped onto the screen or heavy weights to be stacked on the screen, and.... vertically is easier to handle.

Shipping orientation has NO relevance to the life of the unit.

how

screen

reading

powered

term?

Reply to
Craig Hart

Die after 2-3 years? I thought plasma TVs have at least 50000 hrs on them. That's in excess of 5 years if you have it on 24hr a day every day.

WILL

fit

Reply to
Nexarone

My understanding of this is that plasmas are shipped vertical cos shipping them horizontal put too much stress on the glass panel that might cause them to crack.

was

Reply to
Nexarone