Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

Hello, I was in the process of building a plasma TV lift but after reading
an
article in the local papers, I am beginning to doubt if building one was a
good idea.  The article claims that moving a plasma TV when it is powered up
will reduce the life of the plasma panel.  Is this true?

What about when the plasma is powered down?  When not turned on, will
frequent raising and lowering of the panel cause damage in the long term?

Nexarone

Re: Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

uhhh... solid state device -> sounds like bullshit to me.

up

Re: Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

Transport in a vehicle when screen is horizontal may be a problem. Note how
all plasmas are shipped vertical. I think in your instance, with the screen
vertical, you won't have any problems.

up

Re: Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

they only ship vertically for two basic reasons: horonal = much easier for
things to be dropped onto the screen or heavy weights to be stacked on the
screen, and.... vertically is easier to handle.

Shipping orientation has NO relevance to the life of the unit.

how
screen
reading
powered
term?

Re: Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

My understanding of this is that plasmas are shipped vertical cos shipping
them horizontal put too much stress on the glass panel that might cause them
to crack.

was

Re: Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

Plasmas have a short life anyway. Make the lift and use your plasma. It WILL
die after about 2-3 years, regardless of the lift. Then get an LCD TV to fit
the same bracket.

Re: Too much movement will shorten life of plasma TV?

Die after 2-3 years?  I thought plasma TVs have at least 50000 hrs on them.
That's in excess of 5 years if you have it on 24hr a day every day.

WILL
fit

Site Timeline