Tonight's New Inventors

A Solar Air Heater won tonight New Inventors - unbelievable!

Now where have I seen one of those before...

and of course the New Inventors producers have a short memory!:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Spoiler!! It hasn't arrived on our side yet! : )

Reply to
Nutz

You shouldn't have read the thread! :-P

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

The paint guard is just an adaption of a magic trick cup I saw decades ago.

The sheep carrier is an adaption of a trolley, but at least it did have something new; it worked on keeping the sheep still.

Loved the usual clueless comment from one of the judges who has never shorn a sheep in her life.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

Get real! Phil would never let her shear his girlfreind.

Michael A. Terrell

:A Solar Air Heater won tonight New Inventors - unbelievable! :

: :Now where have I seen one of those before... :
: :and of course the New Inventors producers have a short memory!: :
: :Dave. :

I agree. The three "inventions" on last night's show were very disappointing especially after those of the previous week.

As far as the solar air heater is concerned it is an old idea and there are many marketers of similar systems which have been in operation for years. Anyone has been to the Solar Fair at UniWA over the past 4 years will have seen such systems being promoted. The big problem I see for these systems is that they are only capable of heating. In states such as WA and SA this is hardly a problem during winter although I do admit that some heat addition to the inside of a my house would be an advantage. It is a big outlay to install a ducted fan controlled system just for heating during winter.

One company in WA has been designing and installing "solar air conditioning" for several years and has carried out many projects on large buildings. Unfortunately, each system is designed on a case-by-case basis and there is as yet no retrofit solution for single residences. They are working on it though...

Ross Herbert

He would if a Taser was involved somehow.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Or a free toaster?

Michael A. Terrell

Sorry I meant to write TAS-OASTER a Toaster fitted with a Taser for purposes of self abuse.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Don't forget the extra strength itching powder. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

You're confusing pruritic with prurient ;-)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

No, I just want him to be as irritated as he makes everyone else. :)

Michael A. Terrell

I am almost too speechless to say anything about this. The ABC is guilty of laziness and incompetence. There are dozens of systems like the Solarmate on the market, locally and overseas, and have been so for years. Google came up with at least 10 at first try. Some even with a similar name, e.g..

What on earth were they thinking when they even let this on the show, let alone giving it a prize.

Pete

--
"David L. Jones"  wrote in message
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter K

Yes, it's bad enough when the same systems have been around for decades (they are massively popular in Europe and the US), but to have had virtually an identical product (The Sun Lizard) on their show before (that also won) is beyond the point of stupidity!

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

It is called entertainment for the lowest common denominator. A knowledge of science is not required. Working title is New(ish) Product.

Reply to
terryc

At some point, you must realise that the fact that you are actually watching the show is telling you more about your own.

Reply to
terryc

Nothing stupid about watching such a show at all. If there is nothing else better on then it's ok for general meal-time fluff, and it can be fun to play "judge" at home. Even though I find the panel "judges" annoying and pointless, they do occasionally get some good inventions on the show so it's worth watching for those. FYI, I'm not a regular viewer, and I only saw part of this episode because someone called me saying they had a solar air heater on there and to switch over.

I much prefered Dragon's Den because they roasted the products and the designers really well, but that barely lasted one season.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

I've got one of those. It is called westward facing windows with curtains. Which remnds me that it is time to roll the shade cloth up again (summer is over)

Reply to
terryc