Tonight's New Inventors

A Solar Air Heater won tonight New Inventors - unbelievable!
http://www.sola-mate.com

Now where have I seen one of those before...
http://solarsponge.com /

and of course the New Inventors producers have a short memory!:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1986999.htm

Dave.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

Spoiler!!    It hasn't arrived on our side yet!         : )

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

You shouldn't have read the thread! :-P

Dave.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

The paint guard is just an adaption of a magic trick cup I saw decades
ago.

The sheep carrier is an adaption of a trolley, but at least it did have
something new; it worked on keeping the sheep still.

Loved the usual clueless comment from one of the judges who has never
shorn a sheep in her life.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

  Get real!  Phil would never let her shear his girlfreind.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

   He would if a Taser was involved somehow.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

   Or a free toaster?

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

Sorry I meant to write TAS-OASTER a Toaster fitted with a Taser
for purposes of self abuse.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

   Don't forget the extra strength itching powder. ;-)

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

You're confusing pruritic with prurient ;-)

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

   No,  I just want him to be as irritated as he makes everyone else. :)

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

:
:Now where have I seen one of those before...
:http://solarsponge.com /
:
:and of course the New Inventors producers have a short memory!:
:http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1986999.htm
:
:Dave.
:

I agree. The three "inventions" on last night's show were very disappointing
especially after those of the previous week.

As far as the solar air heater is concerned it is an old idea and there are many
marketers of similar systems which have been in operation for years. Anyone has
been to the Solar Fair at UniWA over the past 4 years will have seen such
systems being promoted. The big problem I see for these systems is that they are
only capable of heating. In states such as WA and SA this is hardly a problem
during winter although I do admit that some heat addition to the inside of a my
house would be an advantage. It is a big outlay to install a ducted fan
controlled system just for heating during winter.

One company in WA has been designing and installing "solar air conditioning" for
several years and has carried out many projects on large buildings.
Unfortunately, each system is designed on a case-by-case basis and there is as
yet no retrofit solution for single residences. They are working on it though...
http://www.solarengineeringservices.com /
http://www.solarengineeringservices.com/album/index.php

Re: Tonight's New Inventors
I am almost too speechless to say anything about this. The ABC is guilty of
laziness and incompetence.  There are dozens of  systems like the Solarmate
on the market, locally and overseas, and have been so for years.  Google
came up with at least 10 at first try. Some even with a similar name, e.g..

http://www.sunmatesolarpanels.com /

What on earth were they thinking when they even let this on the show, let
alone giving it a prize.

Pete

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

Yes, it's bad enough when the same systems have been around for decades
(they are massively popular in Europe and the US), but to have had virtually
an identical product (The Sun Lizard) on their show before (that also won)
is beyond the point of stupidity!

Dave.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

At some point, you must realise that the fact that you are actually
watching the show is telling you more about your own.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

Nothing stupid about watching such a show at all. If there is nothing else
better on then it's ok for general meal-time fluff, and it can be fun to
play "judge" at home.
Even though I find the panel "judges" annoying and pointless, they do
occasionally get some good inventions on the show so it's worth watching for
those.
FYI, I'm not a regular viewer, and I only saw part of this episode because
someone called me saying they had a solar air heater on there and to switch
over.

I much prefered Dragon's Den because they roasted the products and the
designers really well, but that barely lasted one season.

Dave.

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

I've got one of those. It is called westward facing windows with curtains.
Which remnds me that it is time to roll the shade cloth up again (summer
is over)

Re: Tonight's New Inventors

It is called entertainment for the lowest common denominator. A knowledge
of science is not required. Working title is New(ish) Product.

Site Timeline