To solder or not to solder - This is the question

I need to terminate two 50 amp cables in a large terminal strip. There is
one line of thinking that if the cables are soldered before terminating,
over time the solder 'gives' making a possible loose connection.

I have no option to using a terminal strip.

Any definitive answer to this one?

JERD

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

"JERD" <

** Yep -  you use a plated copper "ferrule" and crush it on the end of the
cable with a crimping tool.

Then poke it in the hole and screw it down with two ( or more) hefty grub
screws.

 Solder is out of the question.

 BTW

 What ginormous iron were you expecting to use on a 20+  sq mm copper cable
?

......   Phil

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

TNX your reply.
A BIG one Phil

JERD

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

The Australian Electrical regulations prohibit soldered connections
unless it's for earth bonding. (From what I recall).

Dorf

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

Should have said in my original posting this is a 12 volt application.

JERD

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

I suspected as such. There's still a lot of wisdom in the regulations.
Soldering is more likely to cause problems in a high current situation
than a high voltage one.

Dorf

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

 > ** Yep -  you use a plated copper "ferrule" and crush it on the end of th

"crush" is very much the wrong word !!!!!

These need to be crimped on correctly, too much crimp and the cable will
go hard and break, too loose and it will over heat with the current

MAYBE if you can't crimp correctly, hard solder, maybe.

Max

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

A few waves ofthe lpg torch should suffice {:-).

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

"Terryc"

**  Oh yeah  -   what happens to the PVC covering  ??

  Anyone for toasted,  melted plastic ?

....   Phil

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

Could be welding cable with heat proof cover.

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

If you think that is bad, you should see what happens when you use the
oxy torch {:-).

You are spot on Phil, but I've seen that done with a soldering iron as
well by someone who claimed they did know how to solder. 25 pin plug
with every wire bare for 1" back from the plug. Shudder.

Adfter that experience, I inadvertently asked an old plumber "can you
solder". After all he and all the other old guys stopped laughing, he
said "not the type you need".

I was trolling a bit there Phil.

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

A soldered multi-stand cable end into a screw terminal strip will become
loose after a period.

geoff

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

I have crimped lugs onto 00 gauge welding cable then heated the lugs with a
blowtorch and feed solder in. It was for a 24v 600a amp application. so far
ok.

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

"Ted"

** IME  that idea works just fine:

You are  NOT  relying on solder to hold copper wires together that are being
crushed apart by a clamp or grub screw.

You  ARE  making the termination more reliable by using solder to conduct
the current flow from the surface of the crimp lug to the surfaces of  the
( otherwise) bare copper strands.

Keeps out moisture and prevent tarnishing & corrosion too.

......  Phil

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

Years ago I worked at a welding gear makers, the usual way was crimp then
run solder in. There was a fairly high failure rate as capillary action drew
solder past the crimp and made the wire "ankle" brittle - this suited the
company just fine, selling replacement cables at extortionate prices.

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

Yes I can see how they would become brittle, in my application the cables
were fixed (not a welding application) and so never had a problem.

Re: To solder or not to solder - This is the question

That should be fine. I think th OP was proposing  soldering bare wire ends
and putting directly under a screw .

geoff

Site Timeline