Tinning of electronic component leads

I heard somewhere that the leads of common electronic components (resistors,
capacitors, transistors etc), such as you might buy from Dick Smith
Electronics are tinned with a lead based compound. Is this correct? Any help
with this query would be appreciated.

Charles L

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

(resistors,
help
You cannot buy any components from Dick Smith..

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

"Alan" ...

  **  Their catalogue has the usual range of passives and semis.

...................    Phil

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

Those diodes and LED's I got the other day would indicate otherwise. It
depends on the store I imagine.
Powerhouses all stock components AFAIK.

MrT.

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

It

DSE stores may still have stocks of components, but they're in a big
mess. A few days ago I needed a rectifier and a 470uF cap. I didn't
need specific types, which is just as well... only about half of the
trays with rectifier labels had anything in them (some were "cross
contaminated" with completely unrelated components), and the 470uF tray
was empty. I ended up grabbing a 680uF from a tray chock full of them,
but that value isn't even in their catalogue any more! Of course the
chick behind the counter spent 30 seconds peering at the wrong page,
wondering why the little blue cylindrical thing with two legs didn't
match any of the photos on it...

This was just a quick trip to get a couple of things but it ended up
being extremely frustrating. I wish Jaycar was closer than it is. :)

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

(resistors,
help
Solder is a tin-lead alloy (unless you use specifically lead-free solders),
and that is what is (generally) used for tinning, so the answer is yes. You
should assume any solder contains lead and use appropriate precautions.

Ken

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

almost certainly Yes.

almost any solder used in electronics at this time has some lead
content.

There are lead-free solders coming into use in Europe and such though,

Re: Tinning of electronic component leads

"Charles L"

**  Not quite  - component leads are normally copper wire and the coating is
a tin/lead alloy ( not a compound)  ie solder.  Solder typically has a lead
content of 40 % to 60 %.

The solder coating on a lead is quite thin and leads are trimmed short when
mounted on a PCB  - as a result  far more solder is used to connecting them
onto PCBs.

Site Timeline