Tinning of electronic component leads

I heard somewhere that the leads of common electronic components (resistors, capacitors, transistors etc), such as you might buy from Dick Smith Electronics are tinned with a lead based compound. Is this correct? Any help with this query would be appreciated.

Charles L

Reply to
Charles L

(resistors,

help

You cannot buy any components from Dick Smith..

Reply to
Alan

(resistors,

help

Solder is a tin-lead alloy (unless you use specifically lead-free solders), and that is what is (generally) used for tinning, so the answer is yes. You should assume any solder contains lead and use appropriate precautions.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

almost certainly Yes.

almost any solder used in electronics at this time has some lead content.

There are lead-free solders coming into use in Europe and such though,

Reply to
KLR

"Alan" ...

** Their catalogue has the usual range of passives and semis.

................... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Charles L"

** Not quite - component leads are normally copper wire and the coating is a tin/lead alloy ( not a compound) ie solder. Solder typically has a lead content of 40 % to 60 %.

The solder coating on a lead is quite thin and leads are trimmed short when mounted on a PCB - as a result far more solder is used to connecting them onto PCBs.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Those diodes and LED's I got the other day would indicate otherwise. It depends on the store I imagine. Powerhouses all stock components AFAIK.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It

DSE stores may still have stocks of components, but they're in a big mess. A few days ago I needed a rectifier and a 470uF cap. I didn't need specific types, which is just as well... only about half of the trays with rectifier labels had anything in them (some were "cross contaminated" with completely unrelated components), and the 470uF tray was empty. I ended up grabbing a 680uF from a tray chock full of them, but that value isn't even in their catalogue any more! Of course the chick behind the counter spent 30 seconds peering at the wrong page, wondering why the little blue cylindrical thing with two legs didn't match any of the photos on it...

This was just a quick trip to get a couple of things but it ended up being extremely frustrating. I wish Jaycar was closer than it is. :)

Reply to
rowan194