Tingles from power supply

Sylvia's experience is 100% normal. I've even modelled it in the past which is why I reckon the Y cap between the rectified pri and sec sides is 2n2.

I was myself at the time specifically interested in the value of the leakage current and its waveform shape. It gives a great 'buzz' with lots of harmonics in poorly grounded audio systems. The audio groups regularly get a question why their laptop buzzes on the mains but not on battery power. About once a month on average.

Cue EMC discussion ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How about just upgrading to a newer version of Vutrax? I've never used it, but their web site claims it works on XP, Vista, 64-bit Windows... and even Linux.

They're just importing the netlist into PADS though, right? So only one re-drawing? (What you did in ORCAD schematics to Vutrax schematics.)

It's still poor, although I wouldn't really recommend anyway adopts ORCAD at this point -- it's a pretty unimpressive piece of software for the price.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner
[...]

schematic and pcb software

was designed as a sort of

because of the way XP

purpose.

FYI they should be able to supply a non-dongled version.

virtually everyone else in

in no less than THREE

design in Vutrax and the

You mean there is such a thing as a *compatible* PCB CAD format? :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Though in truth, I'd never heard the expression before I read it in this group (in another thread). May be it's a US term. I note that the WIKI says it's slang.

Could be my protected up-bringing, though. Perhaps Phil has something to say on this subject, since he's in Aus' too.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

virtually everyone else in

in no less than THREE

They should talk to Airbus about how that can lead to $billion delays in a project. (A380 - incompatible versions of a CAD system lead to significant wiring problems).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I can't really see how that could be relevant. If the device's low voltage side was completely isolated (which I've now learned it isn't), then changing the mains pins around wouldn't make any difference.

Australia's power plugs cannot be reversed, even if they're only two prong. The sockets look like these:

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I reckon whomsoever allowed a capacitor/resistor/whatever to straddle a magnetically isolated, electrical safety barrier, ought to be marched out of their keep-the-public-safe-committee office and shot.

Reply to
john

More absolute bullshit statistics.

The color of a ceramic cap has NOTHING to do with it's function. The intended function of a ceramic cap in a circuit will NEVER dictate the color of said cap.

Can you really be so retarded that you cannot see this fact?

And NO, there is no "nonetheless", asswipe.

Also total bullshit.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

True, Sylvia, but GPOs (general power outlets) are often wired wrongly, both by do it yourself illegal wirers (encouraged by SC alas) *and* licenced electricians (proves one of SC's arguments!)

Reply to
MoiInAust

Yes, a very common US term.

Reply to
MoiInAust

Ceramic caps do NOT "belt" when 'charged' off of a random point in an AC power line sine wave.

She is an idiot, as are you.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

You're an idiot.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

It has a dongle power supply, idiot.

The word 'dongle' hasn't been used for security devices since WE ALL quit using them nearly five years ago or more.

You ain't real bright on modern computers either, retarded donkey.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

You are even more retarded than the donkey retard, and shit like that should get dopes like you filtered, not me for pointing out dopes like you and the retarded donkey.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

schematic and pcb software

was designed as a sort of

because of the way XP

purpose.

virtually everyone else in

no less than THREE

design in Vutrax and the

All there are just as retarded as you are, if not more so.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

virtually everyone else in

in no less than THREE

Actually, it was the fact that it was the French that were doing it that led to significant problems. Even their 'big bird' sucks so bad that it sucks at sucking. Nearly as bad as you do.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

Yes, I remember an instance when I was working in an office in the UK. I noticed that my electric kettle's neon light stayed on even when the mains power point switch was off. Clearly the powerpoint was wired up the wrong way round.

A supposedly qualified electrician showed up, and proceeded to try to fix things without disconnecting the power. A shower of sparks and a ruined screwdriver later, he conceded that it probably wasn't the best approach.

The fact that the wiring was not colour coded was a clear indicator of the source of the problem.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

He hasn't said that it does.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You're an idiot. I do have a true statement for you though...

The Donkey

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

At least it is a very apt descriptive term which only applies to those plug packs whereas I have never heard any one in the world other than one ng poster call them dongles

Reply to
F Murtz