Tingles from power supply

I don't give a shit.

YOU'RE WRONG.

Reply to
Eeyore

Dongle ? What dongle ?

A small wireless router is 99.999% likely to have a simple flyback SMPS and I know EXACTLY which component is going to be doing it and could even tell you where you'll find it on the PCB. I'll even hazard a guess its value is 2n2 ( type Y2 ).

Most likely like this with lots of safety and approvals marks on it.

Stop exposing your arrogant ignorance.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I thought it had to be a Y2 type. It needs to be the variety with the re-inforced insulation. I'll have to re-read my copy of BSEN60065.

This pic shows one. It's the blue cap (they are usually blue) to the top and left of transformer 'C'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Well, I just hope that most consumers have read that standard.

It was quite a belt. I'm glad I didn't touch the two pins with separate hands.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I did try immediately afterwards (after plugging it in again for a bit). Couldn't see much. But it may be a time issue - it's possible to get one's hands onto the pins rather more quickly that a pair of multimeter probes. Depends how long the capacitor would remain charged with no output load.

Further experiments using my hand might be informative, but I'm not game.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You're a goddamned idiot. ALL WJANs have EXTERNAL supplies in the form of an outlet hung or floor placed "dongle". If you are too many decades behind to know what a dongle is, you have no business in this thread.

You are 100% incorrect. What a small wireless router invariably has is a DC jack for PS input and an EXTERNAL supply, which you have no clue as to how it is constructed.

You already tried that "guess" horseshit, and it got you nowhere. You don't even know how modern gear is powered, much less anything about the actual circuit. You are pathetic, donkey fucktard.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

More utter stupidity.

They are whatever color the maker dips them in, dipshit.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

It's

LOL !

There is a limit on the stored charge and it's meant to be bled away too. Units with power switches must NOT do this. (Read it last night).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

My 'assumptions' were clearly 100% correct.

Franc came to the same conclusions too. Maybe you're not as expert as you think.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That is the wrong word to use. A dongle is an adaptor that enables use of licenced software that plugs into a PC port.

What Sylvia had is commonly called a 'wall wart'.

Now shut the f*ck up.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

USUALLY BLUE

Reply to
Eeyore

You made yourself a liar when you stated that the amount of stored charge has to be small.

It is, you idiot, so your claim that she was shocked by said cap is total bullshit. I am quite sure her idea of quite a belt and ours differs as well.

I have never received "quite a belt" from a ceramic cap, even at 20kV, and I have dealt with them a lot. It takes a huge bank of them, which I have also made, and no, you do not survive a zap from that bank.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

You're an idiot. As in you are "Usually wrong".

Philips makes blue colored ceramic dip, which they use on their HV caps, including Y caps.

Other makers use other colors, you retarded f*ck, and there is no "usually", other than that you are usually wrong.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

Bollocks. Do you want the damn clause ? I'm hardly inclined to bother looking it up again for an idiot like you though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Individuals respond differently. I'm quite tolerant of 'belts' myself.

Now shut up and go away.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Just how MORONIC are you ?

The WLAN hasn't got a dongle.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It is VERY usual for Y caps to be blue. Not invariable but I'd say around 90%+ are so.

Also a popular colour for polypropylene film caps.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I agree. There are dongles for parallel port and USB for software protection, and are still common on high end applications such as PCB design packages. Here is a reference to a "dongle" as the connectors on a computer power supply:

And similar references:

And this is the only actual Power Supply Dongle I found:

"Always Wrong" proves it once again. And the little guy is crude and lewd to make up for his "short-cummings".

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

If the wart is 2-prong, turn it around in the socket. If it's 3-prong, get an outlet tester.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's crazy what he comes up with.

On the subject of dongles, a client uses an old copy of a useless POS ( IMHO ) schematic and pcb software from the UK called Vutrax. They even use it for mech drgs because you can ( it was designed as a sort of all in one package ).

That requires a dongle and to their chagrin they found it didn't work with XP because of the way XP controls access to the I/O. Their only resort was to keep a W98SE PC for the purpose.

Their use of Vutrax also means their CAD files are totally incompatible with virtually everyone else in the world but hey-ho ! As a result some products have ended up being drafted in no less than THREE packages. I've originated in Orcad for example. They complete the schematic design in Vutrax and the sub-contractor who was doing layout used PADS !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore