They finally got rid of his likeness...

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront /

'Talk to the Techxperts' is a bit rich, though.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:43:48 +0000 (UTC), Je▀us

His "likeness" was affectionately referred to as the "dick head logo".

- Franc Zabkar

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

"Je▀us"

** They got rid of just one " Dick Head".

 Plenty of others still left .........

.....  Phil

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

If you want a laugh, see if you can find one of the old adds in EA.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Yeah, surely they mean untrained dopes that can't get a better job, who may
know slightly more than the customer, but only if the customer is a complete
technological imbecile.
(of course that may be a fair bet for most people buying tech goods in DSE
:-)

MrT.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Actually, most are just passing through on their way to something better.
I've worked at DSE, and there are some really technically competent people
out there but they are few and far between. I've noticed a steady decline in
staff quality but that is to be expected of the current generation of
youngsters who don't seem to give a shit.

Last time I went to DSE I bought a bag full of 'P' section stuff and a
couple of other things. The kid behind the counter said he hated 'P' section
stuff and that he couldn't be bothered looking it up in the catalogue so I
could have it for free. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

     They might as well change the name to Woolies Home Appliances which =

would at least be an accurate description of what they sell.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

or WMD
Woolies Mystery Deals

or WWW
Woolies Wares Waffle.

:-)

--
Don McKenzie

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Whilst away from home recently I had to buy a small selection of resistors
and some crocodile clips.
The resistors weren't sold in packs as is done at many other parts
retailers.  I approached the counter and the guy just started scratching his
head.
I said "24 crocodile clips - red and 12 resistors all 1/2 W carbon".  He
insisted on typing the individual values for the resistors into the
computer.  Problem was he didn't know the colour code....... sigh.   I
didn't get them for free or get a discount for helping him out other than
the qty discount on the clips. :-(

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Yep, they frequently I.D their parts wrong at the counter.
I almost expect it now... but only correct them if its to my disadvantage.
A far cry from the pre circa 1990 days when many of the staff knew their
stuff, and in fact many held amateur tickets.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Yep, totally agree.  It's sad most of the smaller retailers in the industry
have gone to the wall.
Eons ago in Perth we used to have a store called Willis Trading, run by an
old timer - Stan Willis who knew his trade and stocked parts people actually
wanted for DIY projects and general electronic repairs.  Now DSE and Jaycar
are no more than toy stores that sell the odd component or three. :-(
Thankfully we still have Altronics and (of course) RS Components, albeit the
latter is expensive. Worldwide Electronic Components still operates but
without a shop front, so he's mail order only.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Yes, Jaycar sell lots of toys and junk, but their range of electronic parts
has NEVER been bigger. Take a look at the Jaycar catalog, I count over 100
pages dedicated to electronic parts.

DSE have been well and truly out of the game for at least 15 years now. I
don't know why people still harp on about them.

Dave.

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

The only reason I go there sometimes is half price current edition Silicon Chip,
still haven't worked out why they do it but don't really care.

Tom

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

Also, Jaycar, Altronics and the like are hard to find outside the major
population centres. DSE OTOH...

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...
BUT:
"Interestingly, when Woolworths bought out the company, it also bought the
rights to the familiar black and yellow logo which incorporated the name and
face of Dick Smith. Research showed that the public felt comfortable and
secure with a company that had become one of Australia's retail success
stories. This is still true today which is why the face and name of Dick
Smith is still strongly connected with the company."

From:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/490e359f02ef3890273fc0a87e010684/UserTemplate/AboutUs_CompanyInfo45

Will the public still feel comfortable and secure?

Re: They finally got rid of his likeness...

"Dave"

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/490e359f02ef3890273fc0a87e010684/UserTemplate/AboutUs_CompanyInfo45

 ** When Dick Smith the man was regularly on TV and in the news for his many
exploits in a helicopter etc  -  he was a know face to many millions of
Australians.

That is no longer the case and I suspect most people -  especially those in
the younger age group that DSE mostly sells to - would have no idea who the
face on the DSE store sign is.

The new web site has the company logo re-drawn ( in a new style font ) and
without the face image.

Stores still have signs up with the once famous face.

When the last " Dick head" leaves the premises -   they can turn out the
lights ....

.....   Phil

Site Timeline