Thermal Fuse in Fan

Hi, I have a ceiling fan that stopped fanning. Turns out to be a thermal fuse that's blown, probably due to running the fan all day. The fan works fine otherwise. The fuse is a white rectangular radial type marked 115deg M20 07F. I have on stock a number of axial ones marked 156deg 10A. The closest Altronics stocks is 133deg axial 10A.

My question is: Would it cause a fire risk to use the 157deg ones, or even the 133deg? Or has the fan manufacturer just been over cautious by choosing such a low value? Or could it have other reasons, it certainly boosts their turnover. After all it failed in an otherwise healthy fan.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

"TonyS"

** WES Components sell the right one:

Cat no: TF115

Costs less than $2.

** Yes. Very much so.
** No - the wire insulation is probably rated at 125 C max.

** Any fan motor running at 115 C is NOT healthy.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil, will order the right one then. I guess there is another point I should mention: The mounting was in a way that the airflow was a fair bit reduced. I thought that may have contributed to the overheating and opened it up with a roof vent.

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

What might seem a silly comment - I don't know what construction the fuse is (lugs incorporated?) It should probably be installed using crimp connections. Years ago I heard of someone who installed a couple of thermal fuses by soldering before realiszing what they were doing...............

Reply to
Nik Rim

It was actually soldered. The wires are 50mm long. When soldering them hurry up and use pliers as a heat sink :-)

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

[...]

Too true. If your fan motor is running at over 60c, you need to find out why, & fix it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

LOL. Good point.