The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

The CSIRAC - Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research
organisation Automatic Computer - is housed in the state's museum and
has today been granted heritage listing as part of its birthday
celebrations.

It is the first computer ever to be made in Australia; the fourth
computer ever to be made in the world; and the only first generation
computer that remains intact.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/25/2752781.htm

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

just adding to that, if you would like to read the full story, it has a
good writeup with pictures at:
http://museumvictoria.com.au/csirac /

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

writeup with pictures at:

Thanks for that post.

Great article.

Takes you back to when things weren't quite so simple, and paper tape and card
punch were king.

Rob

--

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

When you see a Vintage Car people go wow, isn't that amazing.
When you see a Vintage Computer people usually just Laugh or Snicker.

Why is that?

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

Maybe Computer technology moves so fast that people have
little sense of history. While in the UK in 1997 I made an
effort to see the Colossus rebuild at Bletchley Park.

Glenn.

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

Can't say I noticed that when I was there. Everyone, adults and kids, were
obviously blown away by the exhibit.

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

It is a neat exhibit. My kids did laugh when I pointed out the Microbee & XT
with green phosphor monitor that were just like the ones I had........

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

One box is pretty much like the next and  talking specs is very sleep
inducing.

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

I suppose it would need a memory upgrade to run Quake.

--
- Mike

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

That should be "oldest intact electronic digital computer" I believe.

MrT.

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

Interesting story, but it's a pity that the article is so cringe-worthy.
Comparing CSIRAC to an ipod, for fuck's sake?

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

I thought the same thing when I read the headline.

Some pimply faced editors idea of what he thinks people want to read, in
this day and age.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

Yeah, that'd be my guess too. Sad, really.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

Here is a storage system to go with it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/27/tob_ibm_1360 /

Site Timeline