The SONY CD Root Kit System

Anyone have any opinions on what SONY / BMG have done
with CD protection on recently released music CDs?

I have read a hell of a lot of stuff online in various forums.

Anyone actually been hit with one of these CDs?

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

It allows files to be invisible on your computer's file system and
also allows programs to be invisible when running. Microsoft will
bring out a fix which will make your SONY/BMG protected disks
unplayable on your computer. I understand the Norah Jones CD even
trashes your hard disk if you try to copy it (seen a laptop that
died this way).

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

Which Norah Jones CD

I have both of her albums and was able to copy it pretty much
as I wanted..

of months. And I purchased my Norah Jones CD a long time before
that.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

For the rootkit to be installed you need to have autorun enabled.

If you don't, or held the shift key while inserting the CD then the DRM
measures weren't installed and there's no problem copying.

This kind of DRM is only good for screwing legitimate users.

Dave

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

It was well over a year ago and was purchased in
the Northern Territory: imported CD maybe?.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

Maybe the PC just failed at that time.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

The description of the problem was that a dialog box
opened saying something along the lines of "CD copy
protection activated" and then the laptop reset and
could not be booted as the FAT tables were corrupted.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

Hell if Sony's root kit can do that could not they be liable
for computer damage?

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

This is talked about in this thread. They are being sued.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

there is already 1 virus/nasty taking advantage of the rootkit, all u
need to do is put $sys$ in the filename of a program and it's hidden
from windows, virus scanners, etc, however most virus scanners have
flagged the sony rootkit (xcp, developed by first 4 internet) as a virus
and i think they have removal tools. nasty piece of software, World of
Warcraft's(online game) Warden anti cheating system fails to see
programs that have been named with $sys$ allowing ppl to cheat.

a few states in usa have started legal proceedings against sony bmg, and
reading the eula is quite interesting

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

The thing I'm interested to know, is the hack.tool.root.kit virus anything
to do with this or just share a similar name. How can I find out which virus
have taken advantage of sony's software?

Michael

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4427606.stm explains it:)

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

The name "Rootkit" is a generic term .. its basically a system that allows
something to bypass an operating systems inbuilt security/protection
systems. The name harsk back to unix systems where it was more a tool to
allow a "user" to operate something as "root" (admin), when they wern't
supposed to. Same applies to windows, in a looser sense. From the name
"hack.tool.root.kit" it doesn't actually sound like a virus. A lot of virus
scanners flag "hack tools" and similar things as viruses, simply because
they are bad. that sounds more like its flaggd a suspect tool thats known to
be used for bad things .. check the website of your virus scanner, most have
a searcable database with more information on eveyrthing they flag..

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/hacktool.rootkit.html

^^^ Thats what your dealing with :)

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

No not me, but you could ask me mate who copped one in the neck from the
specially sharpened edge ones we use in CD frisbee wars...

But seriously, it would appear that Sony have a public relations
disaster on their hands and have pulled the DRM rootkit

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid05%/11/11/1927225&tid17%2&tid15%8&tid23%3

And now this from their EULA

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/11/13/1419206.shtml?tid23%3&tid14%1&tid17 %

'If your house gets burgled, you have to delete all your music from your
laptop when you get home. ... Sony-BMG can install and use backdoors in
the copy protection software or media player to "enforce their rights"
against you, at any time, without notice.'...

My opinion is that I hope public pressure will get rid of all this DRM,
"you have stolen our music, Go to Jail, Do not Pass Go", bullshit.

The music / movie pigopolists cried foul with cassette tapes and videos,
and the solution to that was we all pay a small ? fee every time we buy
a blank one.

Why can't they do the same with PCs, mp3 players, cd / dvd burners and
the like... and piss off all this DRM bullshit.

Baz

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

It's more than that now.

There are a groups of viruses out already that use the rootkit to hide their
presence and Sony have at least one court case in California to defend.

The general "hoping" appears to be that a cashed up company will go after
them for damage they let happen to their system by installing undisclosed
software - an illegal act in California. .

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

I just did a job removing hack.tool.root.kit from 4 machines in a financial
firm, is this related to sony somehow? What exactly is it sony are doing?
Installing software from their music CDs?

Michael

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

after
undisclosed
financial

Yes.

Plenty of discussion springing up about it all, here's some places to start:

http://slashdot.org/~xtracto/journal/121088

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/calif_ny_lawsui.html

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

- Chock

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

Hmmm... thats like being burgled twice in one hit, only one of the
burgulars is more brazen about it.
--

Wing.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

Just more buggy and badly thought out software.

Little chance of that happening to me, I don't buy CD, you don't get
problems like these from vinyls.

--

Wing.

Re: The SONY CD Root Kit System

Sounds like they are beginning to back down:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/12/sony_suspends_rootkit_drm /

Site Timeline