The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine - Page 5

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

For any business today, $40K is a drop in the ocean. If they can't raise that
from their own resources, then they are
already doomed.

AND:
I believe any magazine today must also be a PDF on-liner like CC INK. $19USD a
year, with world wide possibilities, and
no shipping of custom problems, and those silly extra import costs. Locals don't
even have to pay VAT, GST, or state
sales taxes. You just download a PDF. How simple is that? 19 Bucks!

I suggested this to Silicon Chip Magazine Australia, when CC INK did it years
ago, but it was never taken up. I felt
world wide distribution at a reasonable price, could make a lot of difference to
the mag surviving. At least worth a
try. After all, how much extra is it going to cost to raise it up the flag pole
and give it a flutter?

And CC INK at $19USD a year for 12 copies, I don't even think about the price.
It is simply dirt cheap. And if they
aren't making money, then they would have stopped doing this.

BTW
I would love to see CC INK's sales figures and profit margin.
They still bring in the big advertising dollar.

Cheers Don...

===========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Forgive please. Who is CC INK?

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

   Circuit Cellar.  A magazine that started as a column in Byte magazine

Teflon coated.

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Is the Circuit Cellar still around?  (Best part of Byte magizine)

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Yes, have the Dec issue right here $7.50

Cheeers

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

I'll bet it is $19.95 in Australia if you can find it, or a lot more.

That is why the digital version makes a lot of sense for international delivery.

Cheers Don...

===============

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Yes sorry:
http://www.circuitcellar.com /

Steve Ciacia started it many moons ago. I have it from Issue number #4, which
isn't bad for an Australian. :-)

Ohhps. I just checked. It looks like $38 a year now, cheaper if you get 2 years.
Shows you how much I worry about the price. I guess it had to rise after so many
years.

Cheers Don...

=============

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

isn't bad for an Australian. :-)

many years.
Kind of expected the price would get jacked up after Elektor bought it
(was it around a year ago?). Has the quality of articles changed? I
don't get much chance to read that kind of magazine these days.

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

isn't bad for an Australian. :-)
years.
many years.

I just checked my March 2010 renewal, and it was $19, so yes, it has sky
rocketed since then.

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
It's good value really, when I subscribed for the online edition they
were giving access to all the issues up to date in the archives for
download.

Cheers ....... Rheilly P

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
year, with world wide possibilities, and no shipping of custom problems, and
those silly extra import costs. Locals don't even have to pay VAT, GST, or state
sales taxes. You just download a PDF. How simple is that? 19 Bucks!

Don, they have been bought by Elektor last year - bye bye US$ 19.00 / year
subscriptions, I think I've paid just over AU$60 for two years couple of weeks
ago when our dollar was possibly stronger than US. Don't remember now but a year
could be US$35.

ago, but it was never taken up. I felt world wide distribution at a reasonable
price, could make a lot of difference to the mag surviving. At least worth a
try. After all, how much extra is it going to cost to raise it up the flag pole
and give it a flutter?

They do have "web" version but its almost a scam. You save about AU$10 a year
comparing to paper magazine (which is close to AU$80 I think), you get articles
published on the www but not as pdf (so not so easy to save) and you miss all
other info (ads etc). Funny thing is that a paper magazine comes out just before
the 1st of the months, the web articles are published progresively from about
5th till 25th of the month starting with the crapppiest one, the most
interesting one appears last. Funny, I can go today to many mags websites to
find out what to expect in February, on SC website you won't see all articles
from January yet... Whoever came with this idea was either a dipstick or
actively wanted to discourage people from web subscriptions. Very weird
considering that when you do a paper magazine the electronic edition does cost
very little and they could make real money.

It is simply dirt cheap. And if they aren't making money, then they would have
stopped doing this.

It is cheap and probably they still make money, they don't have printing and
distribution costs for PDF subscribers yet they count for advertising.

If Elektor bought them they must have been making money. Pity Elektor got gready
and changed the prices.

Tom

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Its Australia, just look at the ways businesses here are run - Harvey
Norman and co gave a good example of this
a couple of weeks ago.  Then you have dinosaurs like Telstra amongst
others including the movie and music industries......
Just charge as high as possible, be quite arrogant about it, ignore
overseas competition or the internet and drive customers to the pirate
version, or overseas reasonably priced product.

SC is just following the same broken model in my opinion. After all it
has worked for them since the 80's and before
and always will.   If it was an extra $10-20 or so pa for those that
already get the hard copy, to get the online PDF ediiton for example,
think a lot would take it up.

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 01:54:19 -0800 (PST), "David L. Jones"

".. with many of the magazine's original writers already onboard,
we’ll be lighting a fire.."

It sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. ;-)

Is DL in there for his $19.63?

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Popular Electronics was combined with Nuts and Volts magazine
(www.nutsvolts.com)

Regards; Tom.

Site Timeline