The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

issuer as suggested and they said the

I have these Visa 3-D Secure transactions daily.

--- Advanced info --- Reason: Declined: Result code: F / ; Message: The card holder was not authorised. This is used in 3-D Secure

the above is an error message from 20-Jan-2011. The user didn't enter their password, so the transaction failed.

and here is the URL for Visa:

and that is from the USA Visa site. Why do they keep advertising it if it is discontinued?

  • Australia * New Zealand * India * Singapore * South Korea

Perhaps it is a country problem as only the above countries and the US have it available.

Where are you located John?

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Don McKenzie"

John - KD5YI

** Errr - does the KD5YI bit after his name give you any clue ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It tells me he is a ham operator, not in Australia.

Your turn Phil.

Cheers Don...

=======================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Reply to
Don McKenzie

In aus.electronics Don McKenzie wrote: ...

Plano, TX.

-- [Not a farmer:] [Aussie wheat production is trending higher, but yield is declining] So 2010 is a record year for production. Where is the crisis? -- Trawley Trash , 31 Dec 2010 06:16:12 -0800

Reply to
kym

** The call sign screams that it is a USA one.

And you can look it up in seconds using:

KD5YI John L Smith 1717 Laurel Ln Planto, Texas 75074-5171 USA

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Kym, yes I was able to google it.

I just came across something I hadn't seen in google before.

Exchange rates, google: "1 AUD in USD" amazing.

Cheers Don...

=================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Reply to
Don McKenzie

You're not liable for a dime after you report it missing. The maximum liability is $50, even if you don't report it stolen (usually the physical card isn't stolen so you don't know it's gone).

Right. Most make a big deal out of this, when it really isn't worth collecting.

I had that happen on my Chase card too, except that the number on the back was useless. The worst part was it was while we were moving down here. Apparently they didn't like filling two cars at once on one card (really two cards on the same account).

Reply to
krw

** Dunno about in the USA - but here in Aussie the above is not the case.

If you report that a credit card has been stolen and the card has been used by another during the period before you reported it - you have problem....

Staff working for the card operators have to make an assessment and be convinced that the disputed transactions were made without your knowledge or approval. Plus - you must make a report of the theft to the police and provide proof of that fact - the police give you a reference number to quote.

If all is well - a new card is issued immediately and the missing funds returned to your account in few weeks.

However, if the staffers are suspicious that you know who carried out the transactions (ie a friend, flatmate or family member was involved ) then you are in all kinds of doo doo. Funds will not be returned, you will not get a new card and you will need to see a lawyer to get any joy.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The problem with credit card PIN numbers is that if your credit card details are stolen/skimmed, or whatever, including your PIN number then the bank will say YOU are responsible as you must have given the PIN number to someone.

I absolutely refuse to use a PIN number for a credit card. If there is a questionable transaction on my card I want to see a copy of the merchants receipt and the signature before I will accept the charge.

In the past I have had two "duplicate" charges on a credit card. Each time I queried it (by phone) with the bank and was told I would have to pay the bill in full and then start a dispute process. Both times I told them there was no way I would pay the duplicate charge but that I would pay the bill minus the duplicate charge. The payments were accepted (minus the duplicate charge) and then nothing more was heard. The duplicate charges were both made on the same date as the original charges and with the same reference numbers.

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need. Or find new components at

Alan

I suspect laws vary quite widely, around the world.

Again, in the US the limit of liability is $50, which is almost always waived.

Of course you must file a police report. They have no recourse to go after anyone (including you) until that's done.

It's immediate, in the US. Any interest or penalties are returned, as well. Of course if upon investigation it turns out that you did make the charges the reversal will be reversed, and perhaps worse.

Of course. That's credit fraud, just as using a stolen card is fraud. If it was stolen by a flatmate or family member you also have to be a witness against them in any proceedings.

Reply to
krw

** Not a matter of law here.

The card companies simply have rules.

** God you are one annoying prick.

** Which story do you want us to believe now ?

Sounds like the USA is just the same as here.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It *is* a matter of law.

Rules don't trump laws.

Why, thank you, Phyllis.

Which? You *are* illiterate.

*OBVIOUSLY* not, Phyllis. The *LAW* is a $50 limit of liability. Unless you're full of shit (likely) it is *not* the same.
Reply to
krw

Yes, that is correct, Phil (other than the fact that the city is Plano rather than Planto, a minor point). You can also look it up at arrl.org. I am not trying to hide.

Even though I am inactive, I put my call sign following my first name for two reasons:

  • My last name is Smith (unfortunately). The John Smith alias is used here and elsewhere frequently and I do not want to be associated with that guy who uses it to insult people. What else can I do?
  • You can easily look it up.

I'm not sure what I have done wrong here. I was interested in signing up for the service that Mr. McKinzie mentioned and simply reported my results. Should I have remained silent?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

** Nothing.

It was Dopey Don that could not recognise a Yank ham call sign when was looking right at one.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil,

I am not a ham radio operator, and I am sure any American non-ham would not recognise the call sign "VK" as being an Australian ham call sign, so what is your point?

John, if you google "phil allison" aus.electronics rude obscene abusive that will give you a quick rundown on Phil, and why you should ignore his comments.

Yes, I love you too Phil,

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thank you, Don, but I don't need a rundown on Phil. I have been following this group for years and I am beginning to learn the personalities here. I never ignore messages which contain educational material.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

** No problemo.

** Anyone who has been posting on electronics NGs long as you must have seen dozens of US ham radio call signs included in posters sigs and sig files.

Pays to pay attention.

Fuckhead.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John - KD5YI"

** You will sure as hell get an " education " from reading my posts.

On many unexpected topics too.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for your words of wisdom Dr. Phil,

I promise to try harder in future :-)

Cheers Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Reply to
Don McKenzie

It is used in the UK and it works like a crock of shit. It is a blame shifting game onto the customer and *not* a genuinely secure system. When I first encountered it (before they had announced it in the UK) I reported it to Barclaycard fraud as a possible phishing attack. The pop-up window is too easy to fake and impossible to verify its origin.

It is a textbook example of how not to implement a secure verification and authentication system and has been monumentally exposed as very badly designed by cryptographers including Prof Anderson et Al.

See for example the summary on the register:

Or for a more technical insight of why the 3D "secure" system is hopelessly exposed to man-in-the-middle phishing attacks their paper titled "Veri ed by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode: or, How Not to Design Authentication" :

The same team have also completely broken chip&PIN security on bank cards - demonstrating viable faked cards on BBCs NewsNight programme.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown