The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Title says it all, they are after funding to do it:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

Dave.

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

"David L. Jones"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

** BTW:

Other groups in the USA are asking for contributions towards the
re-manufacture of  T-model Fords, DC3 aircraft, Beta video recorders and 8
track cartridge players.

I doubt if any but the DC3 wil ever get off the ground ......

PS   I smell a scam.

...   Phil

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:26:55 +1100, the renowned "Phil Allison"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

They're still sort-of manufacturing DC-3s by taking old airframes,
gutting them and rebuilding them with modern turboprop engines. The
COG shifts quite a bit and there are other issues. There's a ..long..
waiting list last time I looked.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

I smell scam too.  I'm not a publisher; never worked for one,; never
been associated with one, but it surely seems like $40K is just a
smattering of the cost to get a publication up and running.  Especially
a paper magazine, considering postage, printing, advertising, etc., even
if it is published only bi-monthly.
I'll gladly subscribe when and if it proves to be a legitimate and GOOD
magazine, but for now, I'll remain skeptical.
Popular Electronics was one of the classic magazines of its age.
Electronics Magazine and Radio-Electronics were the others.

Dave M

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine
The basic cost to print say 10k of a std a4 x 32 pages local mag in
colour  is about 5k , so how many will the expect to publish first run ?

--

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

The page doesn't say it will be a paper Magazine, does say special print
editions.

"Charter Subscriber: Pledge $25 or more and receive a THREE-year
subscription (covers both iPad and desktop editions) PLUS the collectible
special print editions "
 If print editions come it I suspect it will be later.
                                          Mikek

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599798763/the-return-of-popular-electronics-magazine

I'm always leery of such "front-end" schemes.  I'll never forget
receiving a "special-feature" update offer from PCWrite.  Barely had
my check cleared the bank and they went belly-up :-(

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Since any pledge is made with a credit card and the credit card not
charged until they have secured enough pledges, it seems relatively
scam proof.

Of course they could produce some issues using really worthless
articles................

                                                    Dan

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

and they get your full credit card details which they can use or sell later

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

That's why I keep one credit card that I don't allow the limit to
increase beyond $1K.

For suspicious sites I use only that particular card.

Interestingly, I've only had a single card compromised in all the
years I've had credit cards... in 2009 I had a B of A debit card
"tested" in Paris... they ran 2 separate €1.00 test charges to
apparently verify the account number, but I spotted it immediately...
it stood out like a sore thumb as a strange small amount.

I've also had a cell phone cloned... maybe 15 years ago, after a trip
to the Bay Area.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

   We had a card number used recently, my daughter's at college in
Gainesville,
apparently there is a lot of card theft going on there. Someone made a
purchase
$90.00 purchase at a chain drugstore and then got a $200.00 steak dinner.
The credit card company called us to verify, they seemed pretty sure it was
fraud.
They had new cards to us in about 9 days. No cost to me.
 On a different occasion my ever frugal wife was getting gas and stopped at
$1.00
because she saw a sign that gave a discount for cash. I immediately got a
call from
the card company. I was not aware of her transaction, I told the company I
would
call them back, I called her she told me about the $1.00 charge and I let
the card
company know.
  Then another time she bought some business equipment (about $2000) and the
company
called to make sure it was legit, again I didn't know, she verified a large
purchase and again I
let he card company know.
 I always thank them for being on the job, and checking for fraudulent
charges.
                              Mikek

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

My understanding is that for all credit cards, you're *never* liable for more
than something like $50 in fraudulent charges so long as you report the
problem to the credit card company withing 48 hours of the point where *you*
become aware of it.

Because of this law most of them don't even bother asking you for that first
$50 either.

I've never had a credit card used fraudulently, but a small handful of times
per year Chase will decide that something looks "suspicious" and turn off the
card until I call their 1-800 number and verify the recent charges (both real
and attempted). :-(  This is really quite annoying... especially when, while
you're on hold, they tell you how they're doing this to protect *you*!  Yeah,
right!

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:15:15 -0800, "Joel Koltner"

Yes, I have a Chase card also and it can be bleedin' annoying when this
happens. And then checking with the vendor to see whether the
transaction really went through, and do you need to re-order XYZ or not.
On the other hand, probably better that than their not being suspicious
enough.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:59:51 -0500, Rich Webb

Check with your "personal banker".  My Chase account doesn't ask
unless charge is > $3K.

IIRC (been a very long time when I set those things, like 15 years),
this is something you set yourself when you opened account.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

If somebody fraudulently charges crap on YOUR card,
why should YOU be stuck paying even the first $50 of that?

I thought that $50 was if you LOST your card and
somebody racks up charges on it.  In that case,
YOU failed to keep the card secure.

But if you keep your card secure and some
retailer has an unscrupulous employee who
skims the number and racks up charges, why
should you be responsible for even one dime?

Re: Credit card fraud liability

I have been a credit card merchant, and selling on the web since 1993, so I
believe I have seen it all.

If someone challenges a credit card transaction that has been placed through my
Dontronics shopping cart, then I must
provide solid proof that the purchase was made by the customer. The credit card
issuer will usually only accept the
customers signature as proof of the transaction.

Being an on-line order, the merchant never gets the signature, however if proof
of ID is requested and received by the
merchant, and there has been an exchange of emails to do this, then the
customers challenge may be invalid.

The customer has a full 6 months to make any challenge to a transaction. After
that time, no challenge can be made.
There is no dollar limit.

This applies to me as an Australian merchant. It may vary in other countries.

We get people order web software downloads using a credit card, and a free email
address, such as yahoo. The first thing
we do is challenge them, unless they are a previous customer, or pay by another
method. In many cases they don't answer
our emails, so we refund the funds back to the card owner and cancel the order.

Visa and MasterCard world wide, have a security measure that merchants are
starting to adopt. It is called "Verify By
Visa" and "SecureCode" respectively. It requires a password for all on line
purchases.
To read more about this security measure please go to:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/faqs-ordering-questions.html#vbv

This is a bit of an inconvenience to set up, but it works great. No one can use
your card unless they have your password.

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Credit card fraud liability
(snip)

I tried it and the Web site said my card was not eligible. I called my
card issuer as suggested and they said the program for Visa had been
discontinued.

Cheers,
John

Re: Credit card fraud liability: Verify by Visa
issuer as suggested and they said the

I have these Visa 3-D Secure transactions daily.

--- Advanced info ---
Reason: Declined: Result code: F / ; Message: The card holder was not
authorised. This is used in 3-D Secure

the above is an error message from 20-Jan-2011. The user didn't enter their
password, so the transaction failed.

and here is the URL for Visa:
http://x2t.com/visa
and that is from the USA Visa site.
Why do they keep advertising it if it is discontinued?

     * Australia
     * New Zealand
     * India
     * Singapore
     * South Korea

Perhaps it is a country problem as only the above countries and the US have it
available.

Where are you located John?

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Credit card fraud liability: Verify by Visa

"Don McKenzie"

 John - KD5YI

**  Errr  -  does the KD5YI bit after his name give you any clue ??

....  Phil

Re: Credit card fraud liability: Verify by Visa

It tells me he is a ham operator, not in Australia.

Your turn Phil.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie