The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

The November 2007 issue of Australian PC Authority has an article on
"band aid" fixes for PC problems.

In a section entitled "The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix", the author
writes:

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large
discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well,
you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing
the discolouration."

- Franc Zabkar

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

"Franc Zabkar"

**  Bit of an odd way of describing a detached shadow mask inside the CRT.

.......    Phil

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

Sounds more like a Degaussing problem to me with "Large discolored
patches. The Shaking image is likely due to a transient 60 cycle field
from a nearby Fan or a transformer. Hitting the side of the case will
always solve the problem. If you hit it hard enough! Just protect
yourself from  the flying glass.

Yukio YANO

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

"Yukio YANO"

**  No way thumping the CRT will ever fix that.

** Transient 60 Hz field  ??

 Like when a transformer wings on past  -   right ??

 **   Wanker.

......  Phil

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

I thought it was called Percussive Maintenance.

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

Actually it was due to a large Blower-Fan  motor in the Lab next door, I
would guess that the fields would vary with the load on the fan.

I now look in the labs, above, below, behind and beside the Monitors in
question. The real solution is a LCD monitor, That is the only solution
in a room with Huge magnets for Mass Spectrometers and NMR work !!

I first saw the transformer effect working on a Commodore Pet computer,
  It took a few minutes to solve until  I realized why the problem would
go away when I propped open the cabinet to see if I could see the problem.

Yukio

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

   The subject line sounds like a good name for a bad Sci-Fi movie. ;-)

prove it.
Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

So Franc, how do you suppose the three beams find their respective phosphors
after such a shake?

I have, however, seen mechanical stress reveal bad solder joints.

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd suspect that the phosphors would be randomly scattered, probably
at the bottom of the glass, in which case the monitor would need to be
returned to the factory so that they could be glued back on.

Every real tech recognises the merits of a tap test. However, I've
never had to hit a CRT hard enough to dislodge its phosphors.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

phosphors

So why pass on poor information such as the above 'good hard whack '?

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

It was supposed to be funny.. :)

Mike

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

put finger to keyboard and composed:

I passed on this disinformation so that we could all have a laugh. I
never expected that any genuine technician would see it as anything
else. Presumably we're all real techs here, not PC board jockeys.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

Never mind.
There is a sort of cosmic synchronicity on this newsgroup whereby the posts
that are meant to be funny are often taken seriously and many plonkingly
serious posts are inadvertently hilarious.

Re: The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

It had to be but someone might take it seriously.  I'd have added a ;-)
on the end if I was kidding about.

Site Timeline