Casio have sold 1 billion calculators

That's, a lot.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I helped - I bought 3 of them!

Reply to
Bob Parker

Not counting older ones I threw out, I have at least 5.

Pity their website only has the most recent model manuals in pdf - I've lost the manuals for all but one of them!

Reply to
ian field

Struth! I just checked and found 3 at my finger tips. I guess over the years, I owned and threw out quite a lot too.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I forgot that I bought a BASIC-programmed Casio PB-100 'Personal Computer' with extra 1K or so RAM module and little thermal printer from Sheridan Electronics in about 1982. Amazing what I could do with it... filter calculations and everything! But when I need to calculate something, I still grab the fx-140 I bought in 1978. Battery life on a pair of alkaline AA cells has been averaging about 10 years!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** LCD or fluorescent ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep, they were terrific until there was a PC within arms reach of everyone. I just sold my Tandy PC-8 to a collector.

I prefer the dual power models, you virtually never have to change the batteries. Two units I've got have never had a battery change in 15 years. Probably should lest they corrode!

My latest dual power one is an FX-991ES. Incredible functionality for something that runs on the sniff of an oily rag.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Fluorescent.... Obviously it doesn't get a lot of use these days.

Reply to
Bob Parker

I've got an fx-990 which is solar only. It's OK as long as I remember to hold it under a desk lamp when indoors!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

** Alkaline AA batteries sure last a long time ....

...... long as you don't actually use them.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Quite a lot of years ago, Eveready were advertising how their alkalines could sit around for a few years and still retain most of their charge. I wrote them a letter saying, "That's nothing, the ones in my Casio calculator have been there for 9 (maybe 10) years and they're still going strong when I use it!". A while later a Dolphin torch with alkaline battery arrived by post, with a letter saying "Thanks for telling us". I was impressed!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

A geologist mailed Union Carbide a photo of a PNG tribesman using a rectangular Eveready battery box as a penis sheath with a suggestion that they use it in their advertising. Needless to say they did not send him a lantern battery as a thank you.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

A very neat way of suggesting a new hat style to YKW.

Reply to
Otter

ROFLMAO - Good one !!!

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Is this because they are not reliable?

Reply to
Terryc

I've still got all mine & they all still work. The biorhythm one's not a lot of use now because it can only handle years up to 1999 (it was made in 1975).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

more like coffee on a work bench, late nights, and loose leads. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Still gives you day of birth (up to 1999) [Yeah .. I have one too]

Reply to
Harold