Thanks for the memory.

With these new 32Gb microSD cards being released:
http://www.techtree.com/India/News/SanDisk_Brings_First_32GB_microSD_Cards/551-110085-581.html

This picture is a bit of a mind blower:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/pic.php?pic=images/newspics/26mar10/14.jpg

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Thanks for the memory.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/SanDisk_Brings_First_32GB_microSD_Cards/551-110085-581.html
LOL

Are any of these IBM 3380 units still functional ?

How long with the data last on the Sandisk device ??

hamilton

Re: Thanks for the memory.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/SanDisk_Brings_First_32GB_microSD_Cards/551-110085-581.html

I very much doubt it, most of the original A and B models were pulled in
the late 80's for taking up too much floor space. A few D models and the
triple density K models hung on until the mid 90's, but, by that time,
they were so unreliable that they were replaced by modern units based on
commodity drives.

The 3380 was an obsolete heap of brown smelly stuff the day it was
released, it had 14" platters mounted like a sawmill driven by a 1 horse
motor through a flat rubber belt. A single HDA (head disk assembly) had
2 sets of heads in the one plastic box along with the platters. There
were 2 such units in one cab sharing one blower system which pumped
large quantities of air through an absolute filter to the HDAs. This
meant that, if you had to replace an HDA, you had to take 4 drives
offline and lost the data on 2 of them. Changing an HDA was a 1 to 2
hour job, more if it was a bad head crash, and the air system was
contaminated. Meanwhile, the Japanese were producing compatible machines
with 4 sealed drives, much more reliable, and the HDA could be changed
in a matter of minutes if needed and only affected one drive.

At one large site in Sydney, we replaced over 100 3380s with 2 EMC boxes
in the mid 90s changing 2 very large rooms from hot crowded noisy places
to large empty cool quiet places.

I suspect that a few years of working on the danm things has done my
hearing no good at all. In my experience, IBM has never produced a good
state of the art storage system, as they say, Inferior But Marketable.

Re: Thanks for the memory.

I built IBM mainframes in the late 70's. The biggest machines had a maximum
of 16MB of memory made from 2kb SRAM dies 4 to a package. A lot of machines
shipped with only 2MB.

Site Timeline