Telstra Business to close regional call centre

Telstra Business to close regional call centre
Sep 15, 2010 2:27 PM

Community petitions Thodey to intervene.

Telstra has moved to close a 108-seat business call centre in the northern NSW
city of Grafton, sparking the ire of
union members and a petition from local MP Janelle Saffin.

The telco planned to close the centre in November, moving some 93 jobs to
existing centres in Brisbane and Melbourne.

A Telstra spokesman said it aimed to centralise business call centre operations,
and would offer relocation, retraining
or redundancy packages to affected staff.

"We are in a two-week consultation period, listening to staff, unions and the
community," he told iTnews.

"If the closure proceeds it would most likely happen in approximately 8 weeks
time - again, depending on consultations."

===================================
DavidJordan
Sep 15, 2010 3:05 PM
Maybe Tony Windsor would like to explain how his support for Labor is helping
rural communities. We are back to all talk
and no action from the government in relation to regional communities.

===================================

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/232230,telstra-business-to-close-regional-call-centre.aspx

Cheers Don...

===================================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Telstra Business to close regional call centre

Must be a real thrill relocating from Grafton to Brisbane or Melbourne
- imagine how high your mortgage would be living there compared to
staying in Grafton.

I guess you would have to though, there might not be many job
opportunities in Grafton.

Re: Telstra Business to close regional call centre

why would they even have a call centre there in the first place,Graftons
just a small country town.
would make more sense for them to have a call centre in the mmain capital
citys rather than some small country hick town.

Must be a real thrill relocating from Grafton to Brisbane or Melbourne
- imagine how high your mortgage would be living there compared to
staying in Grafton.

I guess you would have to though, there might not be many job
opportunities in Grafton.

Re: Telstra Business to close regional call centre

Never been there, have you???????

Re: Telstra Business to close regional call centre

Why not have a call centre in a small town? They have people
and telephones which is all that is needed for a call centre.

Office space is significantly cheaper in regional areas than
in the capitals. Less pressure from staff for increased pay
because of the lower cost of living. Providing staff parking
is cheaper. Security is cheaper / less necessary.

For some services there may be concerns due to lower staff
availability in regional areas, but a call centre doesn't
exactly require staff with rare qualifications. There is no
reason at all why a regional centre cannot provide a call
centre, and do so at significantly less cost to the company
than putting it in a capital.

Oh, and grafton isn't exactly a "small country hick town".

--
What is the difference between a duck?

Re: Telstra Business to close regional call centre

Trouble is it will make more sense for Tel$tra to have the call centre in India
eventually.

If we are spending $43Big ones on an NBN, why not keep the call call centre at
Grafton, in fact, why not get the current
workers to do it from home with an internet connection, and a PC?

All it would then need is a bit of tracking software to calculate hours worked
etc. Calls could be recorded, in fact
everything could be done just as it is now. Mums could work from home at any
hour.

But then, why do we import bananas and oranges and apples and peanuts, and
outsource everything, when we don't have to?

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Telstra Business to close regional call centre

citys rather than some small country hick

India eventually.

Not if the customers dont like the quality of service they get that way.

Grafton, in fact, why not get the

That would encourage the closure of call centers like Grafton.

Yes, and that will produce the closure of more than just the Grafton call center.

Because we depend on our exports and we cant expect
others to buy what we export if we refuse to buy any imports.

We dont. You wont find too many who tear off to India after they are injured in
a car crash etc.

Because we depend on our exports and we cant expect
others to buy what we export if we refuse to buy any imports.

Site Timeline