Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees. - Page 6

Re: DIY electrical and aircon - was Tell Telstra

The latter. I have no desire to engage in major wiring (it's too much
like real work), but I object to having to pay an electrician to come to
my house to replace a light switch, when I'm perfectly capable of doing
it myself.

Sylvia.

Re: DIY electrical and aircon - was Tell Telstra

How does that apply to wiring which is not connected to the grid?

Re: DIY electrical and aircon - was Tell Telstra

That doesn't appear to be the issue. On my reading of the legislation,
the test is whether the wiring is beyond an electrical outlet. So if you
have a generator wired up to your house, the wiring in the house will be
subject to the legislation to the extent that it is not beyond an
electrical outlet.

Indeed, the second reading speech makes it clear that the act
intentionally captures wiring in houses that have private generators.

<http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/nswbills.nsf/d2117e6bba4ab3ebca256e68000a0ae2/85a0a4d2ba0026c4ca256df0001a2e6b /$FILE/A0404.pdf>

Sylvia.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

it.

Well I'm 'Mexican' and my info is decades old, I have done the industrial
bit, thought I'd be supervising the sparky at the time, but he was twice
my age, thus called the shots -- besides, he held the key to the OFF switch
padlock :)  Yes sir, no sir...

Grant.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Nothing, I did get him to do the meter box because that was too much hassle to
do myself.

Basically he was a mate of a mate.

I later knew another couple personally who would have
done it for free because I did their computer stuff for free.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

**I concur, EXCEPT for the Yellow Pages. Not that the Yellow Pages is so
good, it's just that the Yellow Pages on-line is utterly hopeless. I NEVER
get a sensible response. Not ever. White Pages on-line are fine.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

I'm in the country, so yellow and white are some volume, just need a few
more to get a computer box a little higher off the floor ;)

Grant.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

The white pages online is quicker than using the book, one problem is
getting all the shitty out of area listings, even if you specify an
area or postcode.
Also more accurate, as if people move, it can be up to a year until
the printed book is updated.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

And the map is very convenient if you want to show up in person.

Very handy for shops that have moved etc.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

That too. Could save a lot of inconvenience

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

directory for many years.

I dont, essentially because the delivery currently doesnt
take any notice of who wants a physical phone book.

I cant see that changing any time soon.

It would certainly be better if they had a massive great pile for
people to help themselves from at say the post office etc tho.

Thats going to be operationally awkward tho.

that the Yellow Pages on-line is utterly

I do, but then I am in a country town.

I'm just about to try to chase up some of unusual obsolete metal
cabinets nationally, now that I can call anywhere for 10c per call
on viop, going to be interesting to see how that goes using it.

My main problem with that is that it isnt as useful as the DTMS
when you dont even know the state, with someone with an unusual
name that has moved and you dont know where they have gone at all.

The reverse phone directory should be fine for that, but it isnt free anymore.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

directory for many years.

Contracted out to cheapest bidder, seems to be a two person team, one
drives the van, the other throws the book at front doors ;)

What, with a sign, "free, take one"?  I think a lot of people wouldn't
bother, unless they still do the old book muncher recycle points, as
well?

How about an order form in next phone book --> then at least those
who don't want one don't get one?  But I sometimes refer to the paper
book in the Internet not turning up some local whatsit I expected,
that's more the yellow pages, which can be better for country town.

But I've yet to receive a free catalogue from Jaycar's order form in
current one, just their junk mail.  Though some years the shop will
give me one, if I been buying a fair bit around that time of year.

If they charges for it, few would bother, but then the cost would
likely skyrocket too, if the numbers (volume) go down.
that the Yellow Pages on-line is utterly

How country?  I'm in Bendigo, which is larger than average, but only
couple hours from Melbourne.  I use yellow pages a few times a year.

Viop is worth it?  I'm not so happy with the voice quality, a friend
had voip.  His used to fall over lots too, so it would often just ring
out.  No message option?

And, what of all those on mobiles these days?  People with landlines
supposed to be a minority these days?

I suppose he'll strike some balance between overuse and under use by
charging?

I met someone who'll ring an odd number (from phone bill in shared house)
to ask who they are, in order to work out who should pay for the calls.

Grant.

Site Timeline