Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.
https://www.directoryselect.com.au/ds /

I was asking about this a couple of days ago, as I haven't looked in a phone
directory for many years.
So why not stop phone books being delivered?

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.
https://www.directoryselect.com.au/ds /

I was asking about this a couple of days ago, as I haven't looked in a phone
directory for many years.
So why not stop phone books being delivered?

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Good thinking Don.  Did not even know one could opt out of the phone
book service.  Pity Telstra dont show it on their website - or at least
anywhere easily visible.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

They drive along in a ute with them stacked on the back and several
guys grab an armload of books and run from house to house dropping one
at every house.
I didn't see them looking at any list as they did this.

For me, the book is better than online.
The book you see the entire category in the book on the page in front
of you, can make notes etc. Also doesnt throw irrelevant "out of area"
numbers like online does.

Online you have to fiddle around with a few entries per page then put
up with this "click to see more detail",  "click to see next page"
bullshit.

 Admittedly though, for a lot of things now, I just do a google search
for example "plumber - town X"

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

The only time I use the book is to look up Optus support when my
Internet service goes down (which it rarely does).

Sylvia.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

You're not with Telstra?

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

No. The phone is via Optus cable, as is my Internet service.

Sylvia.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

The French did this 30 years or so ago. They *GAVE* everybody a terminal
connected to the phone number database (and more).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

 Because they're idiots and they're not going to listen anyway.

 I still have a listing for my BBS number that I gave up due to disuse
nearly a decade ago.
 It's still there *today*.  And was a real Telstra connection too, not
listed via optus or anything like that, and they STILL can't get that right.

 I'm way past the CD/DVDROM alternative, they have their heads so far up
their collective arses, that's not going to happen citing "intellectual
property rights" as the reason.

 Website access is so hopelessly useless I don't use it any more.
Again, I'm still finding yellow pages entries appears more than five
years after the company has gone bust.

 Basically, if I'm looking for a vendor, yellow pages is wasting my time
chasing shops that don't exist any more.  Same for white pages
commercial.  And residential for that matter.

 So let's face it, if these retards can't get the very *basic* function
of removing old entries, then what makes you thing they give a shit
about changing from paper format to something else?
--
Heads I win... DITTO tails

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

On Sep 5, 4:39A0%pm, John Tserkezis

You reminded me, we had a new number connected a few years back and
kept getting calls regarding organ lessons.
After being told that "we had an advert in yellow pages" I looked up
"music tuition" and sure enough there was a business card sized ad
for "teaching organ and piano lessons". That edition had another 9
months to run until the next book was issued.

That doesn't count the number of people that probably keep using old
directories for some time after they are redundant like those who keep
it with the second
phone, in the shed etc, or have written lots of numbers or notes in
the covers and don't want to toss these out.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

 But it's worse than that.
 I'm talking about entries for companies that have gone bust around five
years ago, and their listing STILL appears today.

 How much of a bulk purchase can you get on yellow pages?  Buy 100 years
get 20 free?

 I get the feeling they're selling numbers, not ads.  Much like job
agencies are more concerned about how many people they have on their
books because it looks good to *corporates*, but don't actually bother
finding jobs for anyone.

 How long before companies work out that Telstra Yellow Pages is a
monumental crock of shit and the only ones left are the out-of-date entries?

--
A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

That isnt the reason for the obsolete entrys.

More likely they just dont clean up the obsolete entrys very effectively.

They do both.

That wont happen because there are plenty of current entrys.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

You get people in there (and just about everything) that just don't
give a shit,
and are incompetent.

This seems to be the case with most things now. There is little or no
reward for doing the right or
sensible thing.

Could also be that they leave ads in there to make the book look more
comprehensive than it actually is ?

Don't know much about this industry.

There are.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Yep, and there are always more in what used to be by far
the biggest sheltered workshop in the entire country too.

Operations like that always attract some of the worst of the dregs.

Its surprisingly difficult to do. iinet does it surprisingly well, but there
arent all that many that do.

Thats certainly possible. You certainly see that sort of thing with free to air
TV ads.

And I know that because I know some people who have paid for
the ads and have ended up with rather more than they paid for
because they prefer to repeat some ads for free rather than to
not have anything to put in a spot that no one signed up for etc.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Problem there Don, 2nd son uses old books to prop up bikes (2 wheeled type)
also what about the wardrobes countrywide with 3 legs. Short people and high
cupboards. Doing away with phonebooks will impinge on the freedom of the
height challenged.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

& the ever present office pc monitor stand.

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

New Uses for That Old Phone Book

1) Use your phone book to do your crafts on. Open up the book and work on your
projects (painting, glitter, or anything
else that is messy). When your project is complete, just tear and dispose of the
pages.

2) A phone book can be an instant booster seat. Stack one for a tall child or a
few for the smaller kids. If you are
ambitious, you could make a “ghetto booster seat” (this name was made by my
husband). Cover the booster seat with the
comics section of the paper or with vinyl to make an inexpensive seat for your
child.

3) Tear pages out to use for packing material. This is a creative and free
solution for all of those Ebay packages you
are shipping!

4) The pages of the book can be used to wipe down windows. Use your favorite
cleaning solution and wad the torn pieces
to do a quick (lint free) swipe on the windows.

5) Do paper crafts using the phone book pages. Paper airplanes & origami can be
done using the old pages. This is great
for the children who like to continuously practice on new sheets of paper.

6) Old phone book pages can be a creative gift-wrapping solution. For example,
wrapping phone cards or a gift card to a
restaurant, pizza, books, massage, etc.. (pull that section of the phone book
out for wrapping these gifts) is a free
alternative to pricey gift wrap.

7) Stick the old phone book into your car for the unexpected calls. If you need
to make a reservation, set up an
appointment, or are looking for a particular business & are lost- just pull out
the phone book to find the respective
number. No need to call for information if it is right there in your car!

===============

Possibly 100's of other uses that google didn't find in a hurry, or I couldn't
be bothered chasing, but for mine, I just
cancelled all delivery of phone books.

I have a netbook with an 11 hour battery, and a USB wireless modem, for when I
really get into strife without power.

When I fall off the perch, all I ask is for is my netbook, and a good broadband
wireless connection. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Well, the power goes off due to a house fault and you need to call an
electrician, what do you do?

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

I figure you do the same as when your hard drive crashes and you have no backup.
You panic! Then you ask this group how
you can get your data from a dead drive. :-)

I have always kept a standard 50VDC operated phone plugged in. "I MEAN ALWAYS".
You don't need one plugged in, just
handy, but mine is. That way, when I need to count to a 100+ for some silly
reason, and don't need a phone ring
disruption, I drop it off the hook. Saves the batteries on the wireless phones
also.

And the Sparkies fridge magnet is on the fridge where it belongs. :-)

Cheers Don...

=======================================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

:On 5/09/2010 5:43 PM, terryc wrote:
:> On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 08:07:09 +1000, Don McKenzie wrote:
:>
:>> Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.
:>> https://www.directoryselect.com.au/ds /
:>>
:
:I figure you do the same as when your hard drive crashes and you have no
backup. You panic! Then you ask this group how
:you can get your data from a dead drive. :-)
:
:I have always kept a standard 50VDC operated phone plugged in. "I MEAN ALWAYS".
You don't need one plugged in, just
:handy, but mine is. That way, when I need to count to a 100+ for some silly
reason, and don't need a phone ring
:disruption, I drop it off the hook. Saves the batteries on the wireless phones
also.

Ah, but when you get on the NBN you won't have that reliable plain old telephone
service anymore when mains power fails - unless you buy your own UPS back-up
battery... Just pray that it is not an emergency 000 call you want to make.

:
:And the Sparkies fridge magnet is on the fridge where it belongs. :-)
:
:Cheers Don...
:

Site Timeline