telephone to sound card plug

Does anyone have a circuit for an interface suitable to connect an
Australian telephone socket to a pc soundcard?

I want to try the VRS software on http://www.nch.com.au/vrs/index.html
but don't want to spend the US $84 on their recommended device that
according to their forum also zaps out line in sockets on some sound
cards.

I have been lent an adapter from a friend's micro recorder and all it
is is a couple of diodes, caps and resistors. Can't see any line
isolation, so worst come to worst I could just copy that one and risk
zapping an input.

Cheers

Re: telephone to sound card plug

Try

http://www.trillium.com.au/products-recadapt.php

Telecom approved.

JG

Re: telephone to sound card plug

 The risk is not about zapping an input, it's about zapping a telco
technician.

 The law doesn't care about you zapping an input on your computer.
The isolation requirements are designed to protect people working
on telco lines, equipment, etc, from high voltages entering the
'system' via poorly constructed or faulty atached equipment.

GB

Re: telephone to sound card plug

Is there something special about your sound card that you need to use it?
If not, why not simply use an internal modem with wave interface?
My PCI modem card (Lucent winModem) provides a wave interface which allows
it to be used to record and send audio using appropriate software. (EG I
have a virtual answering machine).

Unless cost / benefit says otherwise, a software, not hardware solution is
usually the better, more versatile choice.

Dave Merrett

Re: telephone to sound card plug

 The other nice side effect of this approach will be that it's
legal. The modem will almost certainly have the required Austel
approvals for connecting to the PSTN, so the isolation is
already done for you.

GB

Re: telephone to sound card plug

Many thanks to those that replied here and in the other groups.

I've taken your coments on board particularly the safety issues, and
I'll use some parts from an old modem to make sure.

For those that have followed this thread with a view to making their
own as well, here are the links to my preferred circuits that I found
after following helpful suggestions.

I'm building this for the Australian telephone system. So if anyone
has any comments or further suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

Thanks again to all.

http://www.solorb.com/elect/phone/tap /

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/70

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/27/how-to-build-a-telephone-recording-circuit-from-an-old-modem /