telephone to sound card plug

Does anyone have a circuit for an interface suitable to connect an Australian telephone socket to a pc soundcard?

I want to try the VRS software on

but don't want to spend the US $84 on their recommended device that according to their forum also zaps out line in sockets on some sound cards.

I have been lent an adapter from a friend's micro recorder and all it is is a couple of diodes, caps and resistors. Can't see any line isolation, so worst come to worst I could just copy that one and risk zapping an input.

Zaphod

Try

Telecom approved.

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Zaphod wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The risk is not about zapping an input, it's about zapping a telco technician.

The law doesn't care about you zapping an input on your computer. The isolation requirements are designed to protect people working on telco lines, equipment, etc, from high voltages entering the 'system' via poorly constructed or faulty atached equipment.

GB

Reply to
GB

Is there something special about your sound card that you need to use it? If not, why not simply use an internal modem with wave interface? My PCI modem card (Lucent winModem) provides a wave interface which allows it to be used to record and send audio using appropriate software. (EG I have a virtual answering machine).

Unless cost / benefit says otherwise, a software, not hardware solution is usually the better, more versatile choice.

Dave Merrett

Reply to
Simone Merrett

"Simone Merrett" wrote in news:43ed2166$0$3648$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

The other nice side effect of this approach will be that it's legal. The modem will almost certainly have the required Austel approvals for connecting to the PSTN, so the isolation is already done for you.

GB

Reply to
GB

Many thanks to those that replied here and in the other groups.

I've taken your coments on board particularly the safety issues, and I'll use some parts from an old modem to make sure.

For those that have followed this thread with a view to making their own as well, here are the links to my preferred circuits that I found after following helpful suggestions.

I'm building this for the Australian telephone system. So if anyone has any comments or further suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

Thanks again to all.

Zaphod