Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

I am moving back to the US and am interested in purchasing the Siemens
Gigaset handset to use in the USA since there is limited availabity of
Siemens phones there and I really like the European models.

My question is are they going to work in the US (assuming of course I
get a US/European power adapter) with the services such as caller-ID
showing up? Or is there a difference between the two systems?

Kind regards,
George

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

George

There is a difference between the two systems.  The switch vendors work
to different specifications (Bellcore in the US, ETSI in Europe).  In
addition, UK handsets need to comply with BT SINs (Supplier Information
Notes)to ensure compatibility with BT lines.  Unless Siemens' technical
support can convince you otherwise, I would not advocate buying a
Gigaset in the UK for use in the US.

By the way, where can you get a Gigaset in the UK?  I looked but
couldn't find one, so bought a Panasonic instead.

Regards, Nick

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

You can find the gigaset phones in the UK here:

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/cordless-phones

I doubt that Siemens would even accept the warrenty in the US if the
phone was bought in the UK for the obvious reasons. In addition, as I
have learned, US has a different freq. standard than the UK/Europe.
Here its DETC, in the US its something else.

The phones would probably work in the US on the band, even though they
work o na different band that is not licensed I doubt anyone in the US
would raise a hand over a cordless household set. However, I am not
just sure about the services such as Caller ID which would probably not
work?

How about other parts of Europe, such as France, I could order them
from there and brign them to the US?

It is just that the US has an appaling selection of cordless phones,
they all look like fisher price toys rather than handsets, and in
Europe Siemens is highly regarded and their phones are excellent. In
the US, Siemens offers a limited selection of what now seem to be
archaic phones that were poorly ranked for voice quality (comparable
UK/Europe models from 3-4 years ago).

I was thinking, it would be nice to have a SkyPe connection over there,
using the Gigaset 34 USB adapter and a nice Siemens phone like S445
phone with good integration with analogue phones.

Does anyone know of any respecitve US cordless phones cause all the
consumer stuff looks like crap.

Kind regards,
george

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

Thanks for the link.

Have you looked at Radioshack's range (www.radioshack.com),
particularly the 5.8GHz Panasonic phones?

Cheers, Nick

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

They will not work and it is illegal to use them in the USA anyway.

Peter Crosland

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:10:59 +0100, "Peter Crosland"

They probably will work, especially if you take a BT master socket
with you to ensure the ringing signal is recovered.

This however is correct.  The US DECT frequencies differ from the
rest of the world.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

Even if they were compatible with the U.S. network (a UK model would
not), they would be illegal to use in U.S. because they are not FCC
type accepted radio transmitters.

Re: Telephone line Compatability : Using European cordless phone in the US?

They are not going to work for a simple reason - US customs will take them.

Site Timeline