Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

If anybody has a Tektronix TDS30xx of TDS30xxB oscilloscope you should
read on...

This afternoon I had a phone call asking me to urgently contact all
the customers we had ever sold a TDS3BAT or TDS3BATB battery to, it
seems that there have been a few Tek scopes catching fire because of
the Lithium-Ion battery.  Tektronix are asking anyone that has one of
the batteries in their scope to remove it immediately and not use it
again until they can figure out what corrective action they need to
take.  If you want to read the Product safety notice there is a link
on the homepage of our website.

http://www.boughen.com.au

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

** The link is inactive and there seems to be nothing on the Tek web site
about it.

  Very peculiar.

......  Phil

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

Works fine for me:
http://www.boughen.com.au/doc/TDS3BATB%20Safety%20Notice.pdf

Yes there is:
http://www.tek.com/service/safety /

Dave.

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

"David L. Jones"

  **  Dead as a maggot for me, and many others.

** Totally buried.

  What a pathetic way to issue a safety re-call.

.......  Phil

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

I agree that it is a crap way of letting people know about a safety
issue like this.  When the guy from TekMark (the Malaysian &
Australian Tektronix agent) he said that Tek had nominated them to
contact locate anyone that might be effected however Tektronix have a
web based product registration system which they haven't given them
access to.  The situation if further complicated by the fact that
TekMark have only been operating for about a year in Australia so they
have limited records of possible customers effected.

Anyway I love to see a picture of the results of one of these battery
explosions, I can't seem to get the image out of my head of a melting
plastic case with flames coming out the top...

Cheers
Duncan

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

 "Phil Allison"
 "David L. Jerkoff "

**  Claytons would be proud of it.

**  A very public warning is the only appropriate and legally safe way.

  Fraid it is  ALSO   the most damaging to delicate reputations.

** Typical "geeky" fascination with smoke, flames and explosions emanating
from expensive piles of technology.

Bet you are an avid  "Mythbusters" viewer .

 -   like me.

......   Phil

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

Yet you thought the iPhone smoothie last month was puerile?
Bet if Jamie and Adam did it you would think it was fun.

Dave.

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

I read in the local MX 2 days ago that an iPod nano caught in fire in
some kids pocket, it too used lithium cells. At the last company i
worked for I had a dell battery recalled for the same reason.

Re: Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

"The Real Andy"
 "Phil Allison"

**  Could it be,  that famous remark made by Mae West in  " My Little
Cheikadee"  will now have to be updated  ??

Updated to:

"  Is that an iPod in your pocket  -  or have you REALLY got he hots for me
?? "

......   Phil

Site Timeline