teeny micro-minature SMD fuses

I have a DDS tape drive. When plugged in, none of the LEDs come on. It is supposed to do a self-test. Next to the power socket are two rectangular things approximately 5x2x2 mm. I assume they are fuses, because when I put a voltmeter on the tracks, one is passing 12 V, but there is no 5 V on the other. I have seen "nano" and "pico" PCB fuses before, but these things are absurdly small. How could you possibly replace one? I guess it really is a throw-away item. I think they are no longer made, but "new old stock" is $1000.

Reply to
bruce56

Solder a bridge and see if the thing still works. Alternatively solder a couple of wires to the fuse ends and then to any fuse or fuse holder that you have handy. You can use an Ammeter to see what the current draw is and use a fuse that is rather for a couple of amps more.

Reply to
Clocky

Given the position, it does sound like a fuse, or a fusible resistor. But the markings are usually pretty vague on such components, so I suspect that a more informed search might bring up better replacements than the $1000 one you found. They won't be designed to be replaced, though with a special soldering iron, or some solder wick and some patience, it would be do-able.

I agree with Clocky though, in a DDS tape drive you should be able to find space to put in a normal fuse and connect it via wires. Then the question is whether there's a short elsewhere that caused the original fuse to blow.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Yep its an excellent way to see where the smoke comes out.

Best to start with a low current fast blow fuse, otherwise you may just as well solder in a short.

Reply to
keithr0

Which DDS drive? Model???

Col

Colin Horsley

I got a used drive for $100, actually an old server that happened to have a drive in it. So got a SCSI cable as well, but the rest of the server is pretty much junk.

Reply to
bruce56