TEAC 420 Locked up after power brown out.

Afternoon guys and gals,

when the power at my place dropped to about 50 volts rms
apon turning the STB back on I was asked for my pin.  Well I entered
same but the STB kept asking for said pin. (NOT changed from default)

After MANY (>10) calls to the service line the blood thing still was =
locked.

I was amazed that from all of the technical assistants their standard =
answer,
"unlock the STB from the menu".  VERY hard to do when all you have is a =
blank
screen that is just asking for a pin at switch on.  There was another =
message that also
said ,"No or BAD signal" (that was not the case!).

So I sat down with a cup of coffee and thought what sort of BACK DOOR =
would TEAC had made so that ANY pin could get overridden.

t had to be simple, & it was.

press the four 'top text' buttons in sequence.

RED, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE when asked for the pin

Then I did a reset, rescan etc.  All was normal again.

BTW I changed the pin a few times to test this,

Regards,
Mitch

Re: TEAC 420 Locked up after power brown out.

I've never heard a good report from their 1800 line. it's a waste of =
their resources having it set up. And never email them. they always =
delete your email without replying!!!
[...]

And no amount of bad publicity will change companies like
this either.....

You could publish what you just experienced and the reset
process on the net.  That way at least some other folks will
benefit from your solution

Re: TEAC 420 Locked up after power brown out.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:36:50 GMT, "Mitch"

that also
TEAC had made so that ANY pin could get overridden.

Out of curiosity I dumped the latest firmware images:

 http://stb.teac.com.au/pages/files/dvb420-v101.bin
 http://stb.teac.com.au/pages/files/dvb420-v103.bin

Near the beginning of the code is a text string, something like
"Digital Yellow Green Blue Orange". I wonder if that is significant.

- Franc Zabkar