Tcard system finally axed

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23097343-1702,00.html

10 years and $95M later it finally got scrapped.

I've worked on my fair share of cancelled projects over the years, but
this one's a doozy. Cashless ticketing ain't rocket science.

Dave.

Re: Tcard system finally axed

wow, thats amazing. I suspect working at that place would be very
unpleasant, as it is unlikely they could organise a shit in a toilet ;)

that sort of thing isnt uncommon for big "integrated" software projects,
but transport ticketing?! its commonplace, surely one simply needs to
purchase an already-working system.....

still, nice to see the relevant department eventually bitch-slapped the
losers.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Tcard system finally axed

What is it with Govt wankers?
They have spent $95 Million dollars to try and find a system that would
replace the EFTPOS wireless system already running..
Go to IBM , Mc Donald's, Woolworths, Bill express  and the like who already
have EFTPOS systems that don't charge them Bank fees, just add on a Wireless
Pinpad in every Bus/ train and there you go a Cash less system...

and my info is Free...

ffs...
Allan

Re: Tcard system finally axed

That would be impractical. A cashless system needs to be instant, so
an EFTPOS/card swipe system would take far to long to physically
handle/process. The whole idea is to get on and off the bus/train as
fast and as efficient as possible.

The overseas ones have a prox card that people just leave in their
wallet or purse which they swipe over the card reader as they enter/
leave. Logistically very efficient.

Dave.

Re: Tcard system finally axed

Over here in Hamburg you can buy a ticket with the SMS.

Site Timeline