Tarnished silver

Hi to all,

got a number of Speakon connectors yesterday that have solder pins on the
back for PCB mounting. Unfortunately, they must be very old stock and the
once shiny silver plating has gone very dull and brownish -  naturally they
are not easy to solder.

What is the best way to remove the ( silver sulphide ) tarnish and make the
pins solder friendly again ??

BTW:

I am using old fashioned 60/40  " Savbit " five core solder.

....  Phil

Re: Tarnished silver

G'day Phil

I have cleaned up resistor leads & similar with steel wool, admittedly
steel wool strands are not a good thing around pcb's but with care
perhaps ??
The other thing (that I have not tried) would be a rub with alfoil ??
Even a dab of "The forbidden compound" might get you through.
Maybe a rub with Duraglit wadding might clean them up too.

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Re: Tarnished silver

A possible alternative to steel wool is the cheapo green kitchen scourers.
Might we worth a try.

Microscrub would be ideal if it was still around......

Re: Tarnished silver

A fiberglass eraser works pretty well on small pins and surfaces.  At
least the residue is non-conductive, unlike steel wool.

Re: Tarnished silver

"Adrian Jansen"

  ** Que ???

.... Phil

Re: Tarnished silver
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fiberglass-eraser-tool-clean-up-acid-damage

Re: Tarnished silver

RS had one in their latest specials flyer also.  Only just noticed it
about an hour before logging onto this group for today.

Re: Tarnished silver
Jaycar sells them under a name Corrosion Buster Pen, NA-1410
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1410&keywords=NA1410&form=KEYWORD

tOM

Re: Tarnished silver

"Rheilly Phoull"

** Shame they ain't silver plated.

...  Phil

Re: Tarnished silver
ALAS so true !!

Re: Tarnished silver

"Rheilly Phoull"

** Got any idea what chemical " Tarn Off" contains.

    It dissolves the sulphide quite quickly.

.....  Phil

Re: Tarnished silver

Thiourea and phosphoric acid and a bit of detergent.

Re: Tarnished silver

Hmmmmm, best not to use the coffee mug for it then ??

Re: Tarnished silver

**Why?

Read the label on a Coca Cola container sometime. No detergent, but plenty
of phosphoric acid. Pretty handy stuff, phosphoric acid. It's food grade and
you can even use it to clean your swimming pool chorinator.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Tarnished silver

Yes, but you wouldnt drink that shit ;)

Re: Tarnished silver

There was a thing that silver tarnish could be removed by dipping it
IIRC in an aluminium pot containing salted water (or it might have been
a mild alkaline - but I think salt). A rub with properly wetted
aluminium foil might do the job.

Re: Tarnished silver

Here you go!

Re: Tarnished silver

**Here's some possible remedies (I've tried most)
* Commerical silver cleaner (Silvo).
* Toothpaste.
* Baking powder and water.
* Place a sheet of aluminium in the bottom of a frypan. Add some water,
baking soda and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to the boil. Add the silver
pieces. Rinse carefully.

**I had no idea there was another kind of solder (worth bothering with).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Tarnished silver

Yep anybody required to meet ROHS *must* use non lead solder. Surprised you
aren't aware of that.

MrT.

Re: Tarnished silver

Really? Surely you jest!