T5 Circular Lamp failure

I have just had to put the third tube into the Nelson T5 circular lamp
fitting in my kitchen.

It's on for about 2 hours a day, which given the claimed 16,000 average
life, should give me 8000 days, or 22 years of use from each tube. I'm
actually getting perhaps 6 months.

The most recently failed tube has visible charing of the plastic where
one of the filaments is.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Sylvia.

Stupider than Anyone Else Alive

WARNING :

the "Stupider than Anyone Else Alive "  TROLL

IS   BAAAACKKKK ...........

** I like Chinese,

   They only come up to my knees,

   I like Chinese food,

   The waiters never are rude.......

  But their fluoro tubes are complete crap.

...  Phil

Re: Stupider than Anyone Else Alive

I'm a bit puzzled, Phil.

Are you providing information with the intent that it be useful to me?
If so, in what sense do you regard me as troll?

If not, then what are you doing?

Sylvia.

Re: Stupider than Anyone Else Alive

he is probably assuming that your tubes are chinese and is casting
Nasturtiums at them

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

**Nelson lamps, IME, are utter crap. Do yourself a favour and chuck it out.
Buy a quality product next time. Philips make decent quality lamps and
fittings that don't cost the Earth.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

Most probably come out of the same factory in China . I'd check first.

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

**Maybe. Unlikely though. I've seen both products and the quality difference
is substantial. Either way, it is important to remember a few things:

* There are probably several hundred lamp manufacturers in China.
* Philips is a monster organisation. Easily capable of setting up it's own
manufacturing facilities in China and, most importantly, installing their
own QC people.
* Nelson probably source their products from manufacturers who supply other
companies.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

Looks like neither Philips nor Osram offer a 32W circular T5. Sounds
like it's time to replace the fitting.

Sylvia.

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure
A faulty or incorrect starter or ballast can dramatically shorten tube
life.  Burnt areas around the filaments tend to indicate this.

HTH, G.

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

"glenbadd"

** The OP claims the unit has an electronic ballast  - which is normal and
correct for a T5.

...  Phil

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

Doesn't prevent the ballast from being rubbish though.

Sylvia.

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

"Stupider than Anyone Else Alive "

** Same as nothing prevents you from constantly posting absolute rubbish.

...   Phil

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

Just about on par with most of the intelligence posted here. It's worth
keeping in touch though and sorting through the crap. Some useful knowledge
does appear now and again...........

Metro

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

After doing some research, I've become aware that there are different
ways in which electronic ballasts work. The "instant start" variety are
not very nice to the tubes, with the "programmed start" (a.k.a.
"preheat") being rather more civilised, though taking a second or so to
turn on.

Which just leaves the problem of knowing what you're buying before you
buy it, given that asking the sales rep is likely to be a waste of time.

Sylvia.

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure
usefull information from phil   ???  dont think so , he just trolls the net

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure
AHEM !!  Pot - Kettle - Black ???

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

You get a lot of useful info from phil, in his field he is quite
knowledgeable.
He is just not very nice and a bit rude.

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

Installed 6 Nelson 28w fittings (with Nelson tubes - that have no
country of origin on them) in the workshop a couple of years back to
replace ageing 36w units (and cut the power bill a little). 2 are used
for about 12 hours a day almost every day of the year, the others are
on about 50% of the time depending on what is being worked on in that
area.
Never had a problem with them to date. The ends show no blackening and
the light output is still excellent.

Maybe I was lucky, or the supplier Nelson used at that time was ok.

I would always recommend Philips,/ NEC tubes as in my experience they
make the best T8 tubes, but at the time, the Nelson units
were all I could source in a single tube T5 basic "batten" fitting,
and Haymans at the time said that they had had sold a lot of them for
installation in commercial premises (who they said were about the only
people who used them) and had no complaints about them.

They may have been a better quality standard for commercial use via
Haymans rather than for retail sale for home handyman ?

This is not to say that they are necessarily still good,

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

**I've used a few Nelson (CFL) lamps. Compared to Philips, I find them
mechanically fragile and they take an excessively long time to warm up. I
still have a couple of Nelson Par23 fluoro replacements (24 Watt) for
outdoor use. Whilst they are bright (in a cold, sterile way), they take a
long time to reach full light output. They have been quite reliable though.
At least I'm not chugging through 300 Watts (in a double fitting) like most
of my neighbours are. I've also found that Nelson 50 Watt halogen (iron)
transformers are not overly reliable. Nor are the halogen fitting
particularly well made. I will not touch a Nelson product again.

Agreed with the comments about NEC tubes, BTW. I use some NEC quad-phosphor
tubes above my workbench. Fabulous colour rendition (important when looking
at colour codes) and usefully brighter than tri-phosphor ones. The only
annoying thing about NEC tubes (apart from price) is that they're available
in such a wide range, that choosing the right one can take quite some time.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: T5 Circular Lamp failure

It might well come to that. Still, how hard can it be to make something
that performs to spec?

Sylvia.

Site Timeline