[Sydney]Fault finding digital TV setup

The current standard definition digital TV set top box is unable to pick up the channels associated with the ABC and channel 9.

Aerial has VHF and UHF aerials with a combined powered over the coax.

The analog tuner in the TV has no problems picking up the usual collection

2-ABC(good), 7, 9(hazy-poor), 10(very poor, SBS(clear) and TVS (good). so I do not think this is a problem in the boxen up the aerial.

Does it mean that I have yet another dud digital set top box?

We had an Orion($43) that lasted less than a month and when we replaced it, too the offer of going to the Cobat($60) as I could stick an SDcard or usb dongle in them to record or watch movies.

T.I.A.

Reply to
terryc

"terryc"

** Block of home units - is it??

What suburb?

** Ch 9 digital is on VHF ch 8 - where your signal is ratshit.

ABC digital is on VHF ch 12 - where you likely have no signal at all.

** No - your TV signals are TOTAL CRAP.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

While a poor signal on 9 Analog is hardly a good start to getting good

9 digital reception, this shouldn't affect the ABC digital as you say that Analog ABC has good reception ?

Using a Digital TV card in the PC I found that it was impossible to get several digital channels here. (no 9, SBS or ABC though 7 and 10 came through perfectly.)

Turned out that when you selected your "city" from the menu, it only scanned in some of the band. (they all worked on analog)

When I changed the "city" menu to "other" (not to any city name) it scanned the entire band and pulled in every local Digital TV and Digital Radio channel (ABC & SBS have 2 radio channels each). I have heard of this problem with some STB's also, but haven't experienced it personally. Might be worth checking that it isn't some silly "settings" based problem like this - IF you were getting all the digital channels on your old STB in the past.

Only thing is, even now that the "problem" is fixed, I find personally there isn't much of interest to watch on TV these days and it tends to sit turned off most of the time :( .

ABC DIG, or Jazz radio is ok to listen to in the workshop though if you are in the mood :)

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

While a poor signal on 9 Analog is hardly a good start to getting good

9 digital reception, this shouldn't affect the ABC digital as you say that Analog ABC has good reception ?

** Ahhhhhhrrrrrggggghhhhhh !!!!

ABC digital is on ** VHF ch 12 ** !!!!!!!!!

Reception on VHF ch 2 is NO PREDICTOR - at all.

Only thing is, even now that the "problem" is fixed, I find personally there isn't much of interest to watch on TV these days and it tends to sit turned off most of the time :( .

** So it all goes right over your pointy head - pal.

ABC DIG, or Jazz radio is ok to listen to in the workshop though if you are in the mood :)

** ABC's digital radio is APPALLING !!

Same boring artists, their sound all processed, compressed and trashed THEN repeated over and over ad nauseam.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Analog is unaffected and the standard of reception is the same as it was for this TV

When the old TV died, i did drag out the old TV capture cards, but I do not have a running win3.x/win9x system anymore and I remembered they were only ever used for webcams on linux. so no go.

The new ones only run on winXp and I'm not going that way. In anycase the CFO said she wants to view things ona TV screen.

This had something similar, auto, area, or manual. It basically picked up all the digital channels the first time. Then it started squarking about no signal for 2, retune and not recovered, then it lost nine and did pick them up on a retune.

I think I'll just do what I did with the Orion and take it back for a replacement.

Reply to
terryc

You are wasting your time, it's not the box at fault. It's your signal as Phil said re the digital channel allocations, they are different from your existing analog channels. e.g if your analog 9 and 10 are crap you can't hope to pick up nine digital.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I've come to the same conclusion as well. I did a retune and it picked everything up that it had before , and I suspect an extra channels. Still doesn't pick up TVS, which would support your point.

That raises the question of what aerial(s) to get for Campbelltoen, NSW and where to point them.

Another question is how close can another Tv aerial be? The neighbours aerial is only a few degree off line of sight. Might I be best to move it around to the back of the house? and have it at least 45deg off line of sight.

Reply to
terryc

Why? ABC analog (if the O/P is in a capital city area) is on Ch2, whereas their digital offering is up at (analog) Ch12. Miles apart, and his high VHF is reported as "9(hazy-poor), 10(very poor)" so Ch12 may not be at all brilliant.

Reply to
you reckon?

So on that basis something could be wrong in the high VHF part? Would that mean a new masthead amp/combiner?

BTW, digital ABC is back tonight, but if you are right, it will flake off again. I might try lowering the mast tomorrow and renewing the coax connections on the mast.

Reply to
terryc