Switch on mains device from my PC

I have a program that I have written that works with a certain camera. I'd like to be able to switch the camera on and off from within my program. All I'm after is something like a powerboard that connects to the usb port that I can turn each socket on and off though some sort of command. Does anything like this exist? I thought it might for home automation but couldn't find anything that did exactly what I want. It doesn't have to be a 4 way powerboard, 1 would do.

Thanks again, Michael

Reply to
Michael C

You mentioned home automation, have you looked at X10 products? Tricky Dicky sell them.

Actually, after a quick look it seems all they have now is a remote control. They used to have things that let you hook up a computer, turn lights on and off, etc. Perhaps I'm looking on the wrong part of the site.

Reply to
rowan194

I've had a pretty good look at home automation. The problem is they don't have anything that switches power on and off from the usb port because usb can't extend between your PC and where ever the thing you are switching is. It does seem like it is possible to control it from your PC but through a wireless link or something. The sites I've looked at have been *extremely* vague as to how it all works. I found something that works through ethernet but getting my customers to set up ip addresses and have a second network connection near the pc is too complicated.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

If I understand correctly, this is what you want, a USB Relay Card:

It looks like it comes in kit form and it's priced at $115.50 ($105 + GST)

Regards, Chris

Skeleton Man

That's exactly what I want except to be able to safely and legally switch

240V, basically the same thing inside one of those 4 way powerboards.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Are they residential or business customers? From memory they need to be on the same power phase for X10 to work.

If you do a google AU search for "X10" you can probably find something suitable. This is one kit I've found:

Basically all you would need is the sender and one of the power switches. I do see that it requires serial, but as the page says a USB to serial converter can be utilised.

HTH, and I wish Tricky Dicky still sold this stuff, because I'm now inspired to have a play! :)

Reply to
rowan194

By safely and legally switch 240v you mean something that you can plug a standard 3 pin plug into ? (without cutting, etc)

The kit says it has an input isolation voltage of 2500V, so switching 240V I would think should be fine.. what if you cut the ends of an extension cord (for input and output) or something along those lines ? maybe you can come up with something and then have it electrically tested and tagged ? (that way it's legal)

Regards, Chris

Skeleton Man

They are dentist.

That is close to what I'm after although not quite perfect. Serial would be ok but combined with having to have a sender and receiver it is getting a bit complicated. I'm suprised nothing exists considering the range of electronics available today but I guess there just isn't much need for it.

I could just use the relay kit someone suggested and use it only for cameras that have an external power supply.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Yep, I'm hoping for something that will work out of the box.

From what I understand it's expensive to get anything passed for 240V mains and it opens up the possibility of me being sued if someone gets electrocuted. I could use this kit for low voltage switching but it might be a bit much trouble for the scope of this project to get it switching mains.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Silicon Chip November 04 issue - USB PowerUp - exactly what you are looking for (I think)

Reply to
prossid

I've seen this and it's not quite what I'm after. There's powers on when the PC powers on, you can't turn it on and off from software.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Dontronics have some USB stuff, maybe there is something there that is what you are after.

swanny

If using linux read the Coffee-FAQ

if not the harware there described can probably be made to work in other environments.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I had a look but the problem is it's out of my budget to make my own product that switches 240v because I believe getting it passed whatever it needs to pass is expensive. I really need a ready made product.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Possibly useful, not exactly cheap but it will work anywhere.

If you direct connect to the downlink port from the controller pc, you should be able to write a simple script to control the unit.

Plus the added benefit you could control it from a very, very, very long way away :)

It could also monitor the controlling pc to make sure it's still running and reboot it if it isn't.

They even let you self drive a unit via an online demo:

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks dave, that's the closest to what I need so far. If only it worked from usb :-) I think what I might do is start with one that can switch low voltage cameras as many have external power supplies. If this is popular then I could look for something that switch 240volts.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C