Surge Protector - Page 2

Re: Surge Protector

And one more thing. Switching off at the wall is useless. Unplug completely
from aerial and mains (but not when the storm is already on you!)

Re: Surge Protector

*useless*??
It's certainly better than having a direct copper connection when the
appliance is switched on.

Yes, unplugging is better if you are that paranoid, and happen to be
home at the time.

Dave.

Re: Surge Protector

Yes, useless. The tiny air gap left when a GPO switch is opened is quite
useless for the near end results of a spark many hundreds of metres long.
Agree about the "if you are at home" bit though. In high risk areas (eg
Florida) many computer users routinely unplug when going out.

Re: Surge Protector

Direct copper connection is *worse* than having an extra air gap in
series by having the switch turned off.
That does not mean your device cannot still get zapped with the switch
off, but having the switch off is *better* than having it on.

Dave.

Re: Surge Protector

Direct copper connection is *worse* than having an extra air gap in
series by having the switch turned off.
That does not mean your device cannot still get zapped with the switch
off, but having the switch off is *better* than having it on.

Dave.

*****You really haven't got a clue,have you?

Wota wanker!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian g

Re: Surge Protector

You appear to be interfering with yourself bwian
  perhaps stopping would be good.

Re: Surge Protector

As always, an incredibly valuable contribution from Mr Goldsmith.
*rolling eyes*

Dave.

Re: Surge Protector

As always, an incredibly valuable contribution from Mr Goldsmith.
*rolling eyes*

***** Roll away,
you still haven't got a clue!
Wota clueless wanker.

brian g

Re: Surge Protector

Yes. Direct copper connection is obviously worse, and so switching off does
improve protection. But the GPO air gap (typically 1-2 mm) for 240V is still
far too small for a direct lightning strike (already perhaps 5 km).

Re: Surge Protector

Of course, and that's all I was saying, glad you agree.
The thread is about "surge protection" in general, not just lightning
strikes.

Dave.

Re: Surge Protector

Ah yes, I missed that point as so much misinformation about lightning was
being bandied around. Switching off would certainly be enough for most non
lightning disturbances, except the bigger ones. Such as in the UK one day
when a 132 Kv line fell across 240v lines. It blew fuseboxes and switches
clean off the walls of nearby homes.

Re: Surge Protector

But don't forget to unplug the phone line or cable modem too.

Kevin Martin

--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form

Re: Surge Protector

   We had 33100 strikes in one storm a few days ago, in the central part
of Florida.  The usual is around 4000 per big storm.

prove it.
Re: Surge Protector

The models I have are afordable and come with an insurance , certainly
wont do any harm .

Re: Surge Protector

You would probably be better served by checking that your insurance covers
damage caused by "fusion".

Re: Surge Protector

Absolute rubbish! Fusion is defined as the burning out of the windings of an
electric motor and has nothing whatsoever to do with lightning.

Re: Surge Protector

I owe you an apology dmm! You were in error but I could have corrected it
more politely. I fell into the usual trap of ng posters in demolishing a
point with a steam roller instead of gently righting the wrong. Please
accept my apology.

On the point I corrected, fusion (in Australia and UK anyway) is defined as
I described it (burning out of the windings of an electric motor) and is not
the same as lighting damage. Most policies cover lightning damage (some
require visible evidence, which IMO is silly, because with masonry there is
often no visible sign). Most also cover fusion which is usually invoked in
the case of a fridge compressor tripping due to a power event and then
restarting (or trying to) under load.  In another thread (can't remember
which one now) the poster spoke of extending the normal household cover. In
most cases it will not need extending. Lightning is a traditional cover
usually offered because back in times gone by it was perceived as a
particularly frightening event and yet the individual (or catastrophe, for
that matter) risk was in fact statistically very low. That was before the
days of solid state electronics, or course. Them there slowing bottles were
very transient resistant owing to their thermal inertia.

Re: Surge Protector

...and one more thing, in view of the thread topic. The notorious "power
surge" (not lighting) often claimed by "repairers" who are just computer
salesmen, when there is not the slightest reason to suspect it and when
random breakdown is probably the cause of loss, *is* excluded from many
household policies precisely because it has been abused by the greedy and/or
ignorant so much in the past.

Re: Surge Protector

Apology accepted. I should probably point out too that I'd had about 3 glasses
of red wine when I wrote my reply. I shouldn't have mentioned fusion, but
lightning
damage as pointed out instead. :)

Re: Surge Protector

Thanks dmm! I actually had a bout of conscience over that! I am only saved
from the red wine syndrome by the fact that I usually post in the very early
hours and have my red wine (usually white) much later!