Surge Protector

Is it recommended for my new TV and sound system, or just another rippoff.?

Re: Surge Protector

**Rip-off.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Surge Protector

Until the first electrical storm, or the power company has a transformer go
arse-up.

Re: Surge Protector

**Dream on.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Surge Protector

Well, I certainly won't be buying anything from rage audio. The website link
is engineered with similar care...

Re: Surge Protector

**Feel free to list all the known examples of where a standard, off the
shelf surge protector has protected equipment. If you want snake oil
products (over-priced surge protectors) then you'll need to shop elsewhere.

Learn about 'top-posting' and try to refrain from doing so. It is poor
netiquette. Let Google be your friend.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Surge Protector

Suggest you attend to your website links.

Re: Surge Protector

  One can't expect any more from a cheap imported transister sales person

Re: Surge Protector

**Feel free to list all the known examples of where a standard, off the
shelf surge protector has protected equipment. If you want snake oil
products (over-priced surge protectors) then you'll need to shop elsewhere.

Learn about 'top-posting' and try to refrain from doing so. It is poor
netiquette. Let Google be your friend.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Surge Protector

**I suggest you read this site:

http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

Pay particular attention to the part on 'top-posting'. I realise that you
are (probably) a newbie. NOW is the time to break your bad habits.

I am still awaiting your answer about surge protectors.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Surge Protector

  nice sidestep and tap dance you spamming prick , top posting is and
has been acceptable for some time and the weakness of your rebutal does
nothing to repair your reputation or website.

Re: Surge Protector

Hi Trevor

It is a silly question because few people would record and document such an
event (even if they were aware of it). But over 20 years dealing with events
of this kind I would guess I have seen a few hundred successes (and some
failures, with very close or direct strikes). I did not record them because
I didn't then have the pleasure of foreseeing your question. I have the
individual files going back 6 years (Statute of Limitations -- annual
cull -- space problems!) but I am not going to hack through every report and
each file and make a schedule just to prove a point.

BTW, I agree with your point about "cheap off the shelf"; I have never
implied otherwise.
The product has to be properly engineered.

I am not a newbie. The very opposite (active on Usenet since about 1984). I
choose to top post because I believe that regulars prefer it to ploughing
through a whole ream of stuff first. The majority are aware of the context.
Things have changed since that netiquette point was established.

Trevor, your website link does not work -- try it!

Re: Surge Protector

Yep, looks like www.rageaudio.com.au/ is missing an index.html (and all the
other files too).

Re: Surge Protector

   I guess he didn't pay for his hosting on time.  You do have to admit
that its an improvement.

prove it.
Re: Surge Protector

Typical imported junk salesperson

Re: Surge Protector

Not quite off topic, but it's in the spirit of the contents of this thread

Interesting news item on the Teev last night. Some kid wearing earphones and an
ipod in his pocket got hit by lightning.

Now his family are claiming ipods are dangerous, and attract lightning
Duh!!

It probably saved the kid's life by creating a better path down the side of his
body, rather than through him. Like having a lightning rod - bypass the house,
not hit the house

(be interesting if he claimed insurance for his ipod!!)

Trevor - your site link needs some TLC

Argusy

Re: Surge Protector

transformer go

There is absolutely no way that a normal surge protector can protect
against such things as a transformer going "arse-up". By this I assume
you mean that a higher than normal voltage will be connected towards
your premises.

One day several years back I was sitting in the family room about 20
feet away from my old Panasonic Genius microwave oven, which has a
small printed board in it which is fitted with the usual surge
protection components as found in your everyday anti-surge powerboard.
Suddenly I heard this enormous bang and smoke issued forth from the
oven.

Upon investigation I discovered the anti-surge varistors had been
blown to smithereens and some copper track acting as a fuse had
vaporised from the board. I asked the power authority what had caused
it and they informed me a tree-lopper had managed to bring a high
voltage power line into contact with the normal domestic power lines
feeding my area. This produced a similar situation to that of a
transformer going "arse-up".

Antisurge power boards will protect only from relatively minor over
voltage situations where low currents are a by-product. Anything which
is capable of producing high current along with over voltage
sufficient to activate the anti-surge devices will simply overwhelm
them and blow them to the shit-house. In my case the real protection
was offered by the copper track on the pcb which acted as a fuse,
although I suppose the varistors may have provided a microsecond of
delay before they vaporised.

Re: Surge Protector

Yes, it's a matter of degree. But a good surge board, properly earthed, is
certainly better that nothing.

Re: Surge Protector

Simply switch the whole lot off at the wall, you'll save a bunch of
standby power too.
Surge Protector isn't a bad idea though, but like audio cable, you can
pay ridiculous amounts of money for marking fluff that gives you zero
extra benefit.
A cheap surge protector power board from Bunnings or wherever will do
the job, don't buy one from the shop.

Dave.

Re: Surge Protector

A surge protector is not enough for a *direct* strike (which is very rare
indeed) but it is useful for nearby strikes and general static buildup,
which are infinitely more common. So yes, worthwhile. Quite different to
monster OFC speaker cables and similar snake oil!

Site Timeline