Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

I'm frustrated to discover that a couple of 1000uF 16V electrolytics that I bought from Jaycar a few years ago to repair a video card now have bulging tops and will have to be replaced. They are "Suntan" brand. It appears from a search that I'm not the first to have trouble with them.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**I ceased buying 'mission-critical' components from DSE and jaycar many years ago. Caps from WES are decent enough for day to day service and Farnell (no, I refuse to call it Element 14) or RS Components can be traced and are of high quality.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I'd feel a bit silly ordering 2 capactors online, and having them sent by courier.

Still, if that's what it takes to get reliable components...

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**I see your point. Try WES Part #1000TKR16. It is a 105 degree C component and I've found them to be excellent quality. Very low leakage too.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You didn't happen to use it where a low ESR part should go?

Reply to
David Eather

Well, I don't actually know what role they're performing, but there's no inductor in sight, so they're not part of an SMPS.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

And being as this is a video card, it's power supply inputs are DC.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

There are them mother boards are packed with low ESR capacitors even though they are not part of a SMPS and only use DC - but they still pop capacitors of the wrong type.

Reply to
David Eather

Both motherboards and more powerful video cards have DC to DC SMPS that converts 5V (maybe 3.3V) into whatever Vcore the CPU/GPU needs. They need low ESR electros.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

nd.

Might still need them, depending on the ripple current. I would put them in.

Reply to
kreed

As per Tom's post, it may still have a SMPS.

In any event, use decent low-ESR 105C caps. WES stock Hitano, which we have used for several years as replacements in LCD monitors.

Reply to
who where

and.

no

I have used these caps for some time. Had no problems to date. I would recommend to Silvia to try these in her video card.

Reply to
kreed

**If you wish, I can add a couple of caps onto my next WES order (Thursday or Monday). I can then post them to you at cost. For the values you cited, that's $0.45 each. If you want the caps that are specified for SMPS, they're $0.60 each. Add a Buck for postage to you.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thanks, but no. I'm not even using the video card at the moment. I won't repair it unless I find a reason to use it again.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else