Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

I'm frustrated to discover that a couple of 1000uF 16V electrolytics
that I bought from Jaycar a few years ago to repair a video card now
have bulging tops and will have to be replaced. They are "Suntan" brand.
It appears from a search that I'm not the first to have trouble with them.

Sylvia.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

**I ceased buying 'mission-critical' components from DSE and jaycar many
years ago. Caps from WES are decent enough for day to day service and
Farnell (no, I refuse to call it Element 14) or RS Components can be traced
and are of high quality.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

I'd feel a bit silly ordering 2 capactors online, and having them sent
by courier.

Still, if that's what it takes to get reliable components...

Sylvia.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

**I see your point. Try WES Part #1000TKR16. It is a 105 degree C component
and I've found them to be excellent quality. Very low leakage too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

**If you wish, I can add a couple of caps onto my next WES order (Thursday
or Monday). I can then post them to you at cost. For the values you cited,
that's $0.45 each. If you want the caps that are specified for SMPS, they're
$0.60 each. Add a Buck for postage to you.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

Thanks, but no. I'm not even using the video card at the moment. I won't
repair it unless I find a reason to use it again.

Sylvia.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

You didn't happen to use it where a low ESR part should go?

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

Well, I don't actually know what role they're performing, but there's no
inductor in sight, so they're not part of an SMPS.

Sylvia.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

And being as this is a video card, it's power supply inputs are DC.

Sylvia.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

There are them mother boards are packed with low ESR capacitors even
though they are not part of a SMPS and only use DC - but they still pop
capacitors of the wrong type.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

Both motherboards and more powerful video cards have DC to DC SMPS that
converts 5V (maybe 3.3V) into whatever Vcore the CPU/GPU needs. They
need low ESR electros.

Tom

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

Might still need them, depending on the ripple current.
I would put them in.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:35:34 +1000, Sylvia Else

As per Tom's post, it may still have a SMPS.

In any event, use decent low-ESR 105C caps.  WES stock Hitano, which
we have used for several years as replacements in LCD monitors.

Re: Suntan brand capacitors bought from Jaycar

I have used these caps for some time.  Had no problems to date.  I
would recommend to Silvia to try these in her video card.

Site Timeline