I did try an 820ohm 5w I had lying around and it did work fine for a short period until the resistor died (smoked) and which point I shut it off (nothing else was even warm so here's hoping I didn't damage anything - guessing not if my understanding of how the speed controller works on these is correct).

thanks in advance JM

--
Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Reply to
JM

I'm new to this group but it looked like the right place to ask: I have an old sunbeam mixmaster that I'd like to bring back into service - no model number I can see but looks like this one

but with a black base.

Everything seems fine except that the resistor that shunts (assume this is the correct term?) across the speed controller is burnt out. The blue plastic covering has cracked and flaked off and the resistance wire has broken near one end. From measurements (one end to where the break is), guesstimating to full length, I'm guessing around 700-800 ohm, give or take, and high power, but was wondering if anyone here might know the exact value and power rating? Even ballpark would help.

I'll look in my shed at the weekend, I think I have an old one there.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

Doesn't the grease go hard in the gearbox and load the motor so the resistor blows?

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Thanks.

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Reply to
JM

message

Thanks for the heads up. The grease doesn't look too bad. Maybe a little gritty on one side (the side where the juicer attachment goes). Still I guess it wouldn't hurt to clear it out and put on some clean grease.

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Reply to
JM

I'm new to this group but it looked like the right place to ask: I have an old sunbeam mixmaster that I'd like to bring back into service - no model number I can see but looks like this one

but with a black base.

Everything seems fine except that the resistor that shunts (assume this is the correct term?) across the speed controller is burnt out. The blue plastic covering has cracked and flaked off and the resistance wire has broken near one end. From measurements (one end to where the break is), guesstimating to full length, I'm guessing around 700-800 ohm, give or take, and high power, but was wondering if anyone here might know the exact value and power rating? Even ballpark would help.

As promised. Sunbeam Mixmaster Model A12. Resistor measured 750 ohm, I would guess at least 50W. Capacitor 0.047µF/1000V.

HTH

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

message

Thanks - seems my guesstimate was pretty close. Hopefully will have time to get it working fully next weekend.

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Reply to
JM