Summary of my experience with an electrician.

1. The result has a flying lead coming unsupported through plaster board.

2. A socket has been installed with an inappropriate screw which
obstructs the plate that clips onto the front of the socket, so that the
latter does not fit properly.

3. He's invoiced me for $100 + GST more than the stated quote. However,
since I sent him an email accepting his quote to the email address on
his business card, the quoted amount is all he'll get unless he sues me.

Any wonder if I prefer to avoid using trademen where possible?

Sylvia.

Re: Summary of my experience with an electrician.
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:20:13 +1100, Sylvia Else

In NSW, at least, one can hold an electrical contractor's license
without actually holding an electrician's license.

The business owner holds the contractor license and must employ a
licensed electrician ie. supervisor willing to legitimise the business
by virtue of his/her qualification.

This can mean that "some" contractors do not allways employ fully
qualified "electricians" and on some occasions may even perform work
themselves, thinking all the while , this is a piece of cake.

Re: Summary of my experience with an electrician.

The tradesman has taken exception to the feedback I provided on the
website where I found him, and says in an email to me

"all tradespeople always say there price and every client knows it is
not including the GST"

I think the ACCC still has some way to go in educating people about the
rules.

Sylvia.

Re: Summary of my experience with an electrician.

Maybe you need to comment that   "as you dispute that as being the
case, and I believe otherwise I have reported you to the ACCC, and if
it is legit, they will ignore my complaint". Wonder what he will do
then ?  Maybe he seriously believes this garbage ?

One story you just reminded me of,

In 2003 we had a deal all arranged, and ready to go and the seller
decided to try the +GST crap as we were confirming the order.
This involved about $12,000 worth of equipment, (and a surprise
addition of another $1200 GST) he was reminded of the law on GST
having to be in the quoted price, he tried to argue and bullshit and
the deal cancelled on the spot.

I copped a load of nasty "xyz knows nothing about business" comments
going around, but a $50 solicitors letter about defamation soon
stopped that.  Silence was deafening :)

Re: Summary of my experience with an electrician.

I've pointed him to some consumer law documentation. Since I twigged
beforehand about the GST, I have no reasonable grounds to refuse to pay
it, and I have paid it.

The sad thing is that instead of getting annoyed at me, he could
probably turn this bit of education to his advantage, in conjunction
with following the suggestion I posted about using written quotations
(to avoid doubt).

Something along the lines of

"Quote for doing X: $100 + $10 GST, total $110.

Don't get caught out by shonky tradesmen - make sure they're not trying
to scam you by excluding GST from their quote, and then asking to you
pay it later, and if they haven't put their quote in writing, ask them to."

Glad you didn't fold, but of course this guy's questionable business
practices wasted your time, and you presumably had to start putting
together a deal with someone else.

Sylvia.

Re: Summary of my experience with an electrician.

It all worked out ok actually, we did actually get a better deal from
Victoria, even with the freight involved it was better.
It was a very tight schedule to get the gear to the supplier, I think
from memory it arrived on the exact day it was due :)

Site Timeline