Study in embeded controllers

I live in Sydney and I have a background in engineering a computer
science.

I would like to study embeded controllers especialy ATMEL series. Is
there a cource that I can do, especialy after hours.

Kind regards
Giorgis

Re: Study in embeded controllers

Try
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/home.php?cat32%7

gtoomey

Re: Study in embeded controllers

Buy a book and a development kit then start reading and playing.
Utilise the app notes and datasheets from the manufacturer. When you
get stuck, ask a question here.

Re: Study in embeded controllers

I have done that and I am at the early stages. In fact I found this
amazing PDF
at the bottom of  http://www.le.ac.uk/engineering/mjp9/pttesguide.htm

I thaught it would be great to do such a course because but I would
rather spend the money with an Australian institution.

There are some things you cannot learn by your self. I can attest to
that learning programming in a lecture theater with briliant lectureres
vs "Learn C++ in 21 Days" only to be bettered with "Learn C++ in 24h"
only to be topped by "Learn C++ for dummies"

Giorgis

Re: Study in embeded controllers

So did you learn c++? How did you learn c++? If you know c++, i bet
you learned by writing c++.

Any book will give you the basics, then where you take it from there
is up to you. A course will acheive no more. If you really want to
learn good programming practices then you need to work with a good
programmer, or learn from a good programmer.

<snip>

Re: Study in embeded controllers

I appreciate your philosophy but I asked a simple question.
I have programming background, and I would like a course in embeded
micro-controllers.

Simple, to the point.

Kind thanks
Giorgis

Re: Study in embeded controllers

Try:
http://www.tvtafe.sa.edu.au/electronics/PIC_Microcontroller_Course_short.htm
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetUnitDetails&UnitCode77%65J
http://www.rmit.edu.au/courses/038311

Googling "microcontroller course" bought up others.
If you troll the various TAFE/UNI websits then I'm sure you'll find
more.
Try the unis who do distance stuff for Engineering Education Australia
too.

But I'm with Andy, by far the best way to learn it is to do it
yourself, don't wait for a course to come around. If you start leaning
yourself frist then you'll have a much better understanding when and if
you do do a course. Then you'll be able to ask much better and more
advanced qustions, rather than having the course "dumbed down" for the
lowest common denominator.
There are a TON of self learning systems around for micros, mostly
Atmel or PIC, find one that suits you.

Dave :)

Re: Study in embeded controllers

Sounds cool, I have begun on home learning. I do subscribe to do as
much at home as you can. On the other hand face to face gives you
another angle.

Thanks for the pointers, I will look into those and others ...

regards
George

http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetUnitDetails&UnitCode77%65J

Re: Study in embeded controllers

If you live in Sydney then I think there is a PICAXE user groups that
meets regularly, they advertised in Silicon Chip a while back if I
remember rightly.

Dave :)

Re: Study in embeded controllers

assuming you Atmel AVR (AT-90/AT-Mega/AT-Tiny), not their 8061 based range
(AT-89xxx)

If you know assembler (any kind) already,  any microcontroller course will
suit, AVR assembler is easy to learn.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline