strobe light kits

Does anyone still sell kits for strobe lights?

or anything that drives a Xenon flash tube?

cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

"Terry Given"

** Not any more ....

all the epileptics got up in arms and legs about them.

Fairly frothing at the mouth, they were.

Seriously ....

far too dangerous to sell to kiddies and dopes.

No PLI company would allow it.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reckon you may be a sufferer Philly?

Reply to
Jonno

Hmm, that would explain it. looks like its DIY all the way then. bugger, a kit would have made a nice starting point.

Thanks Phil

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Hi Terry,

DSE still list some strobe kits, limited availability probably, but they still have :

"Disco Strobe"

And

"Discovery Series Kit Xenon Flasher"

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

thanks Jacob, I've sent my poor, crippled old dad off on his bike (he cant drive, due to a brokedn shoulder) to get some and mail them to me.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

No Problems :) Just wish I had been quick enough to grab a $25 ESR meter :( I've got a Marantz amp under repair and could really use a decent cap tester!

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

** Huh ?????

Go to any place that sells lighting effects for stage or disco.

They have lovely, dirt cheap CHINESE made ones !!!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

good call Phil, I never thought of that (my boomerang wont come back). of course I'd then have to reverse-engineer it, c.f. reading the attached schematic, but it aint hard. And besides, I'll need to reverse-engineer the magnetics regardless...

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

"Terry Given"

** There are no " magnetics " in a stage or disco strobe.

The whole caboodle operates at mains potential, often with a voltage doubler to give 680 volts DC on the storage cap - ie dangerous as hell.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

trigger transformer?

I'll say! I've seen electric fence energisers that do that, too.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Buy a car ignition strobe that works off 12V and build a simple pulse generator to drive the trigger circuit instead of the pickup that clamps on the HT lead.

Reply to
ian field

Disco Strobe $99

-- Michael Heydon

Reply to
Michael Heydon

yep, have one of them and two of the lamp flashers. easier than veroboard....

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given