Stranded UTP and crimp connectors

Hi,  Came home with a fistful of UTP Cat 5e cable from Altronics, and lo, to
my surprise it has stranded conductors. Will that work OK with standard RJ45
crimp connectors?  TIA

Re: Stranded UTP and crimp connectors

stranded cable for stranded crimp connectors, (altronics P1380)  solid cable for
puchdown
and solid crimp connectors (altronics P1388).

If you use the wrong connector it may be less reliable.

if you only have solid crimp plugs and use them plan on replacing
them at some time.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Stranded UTP and crimp connectors

Thanks. I checked my receipt, the girl who served me chose the connectors,
she took a quick look at the cable and grabbed the connectors from the tray,
the two types were right next to one another. She got the right ones :-).
Good service!

Re: Stranded UTP and crimp connectors

Hi Bruce,

Stranded cable should be used for the making of patch leads and the
standard RJ45 Male connector is designed for that type of cable...

Solid core cable is designed ONLY for infrastructure... ie. inside your
walls etc and designed to be terminated onto Female or Krone sockets
etc.. the cable gets punched into a V which bites into either side of
the canductor..

To complicate things there are RJ45 conectors (Male) that are supposedly
for solid core cable (usually have a curve on cable entry) but I wouldnt
reccomend using them.

Basically only use solid core in walls etc and use puch down terminating
connectors , and only use stranded cable for patch leads with crimp type
connectors...

Also generally we dont make patch leads these days as they are readilly
available and dirt cheap.

regards,

mick

Re: Stranded UTP and crimp connectors

RJ45 crimp on solid core is useful in large infrastructure work where you're
going from a patch panel to fixed switch gear.

We installed a patch frame with 5000 points on it, 2000 of those went
directly to the switch gear as fixed wiring. Chopping the ends of patch
leads to put into the back of the patch frame would have made no sense.

And before you ask why not just patch directly from the switches into the
panel - the panel was a Siemons non-RJ45 system (without the breakable
plastic clips) On section of the panel went to building infrastructure
another to a phone system and the other to the switch fabric.

Always use the correct crimp type (solid vs stranded) with the correct cable
- I don't know how many times I've had to fix cables that had the wrong end
on them and would flake out.  Even had a batch of pre-made patch leads from
a supplier with the wrong crimps - didn't use them again.

Re: Stranded UTP and crimp connectors

Don't chop the end off, buy longer ones, chop them in half,
and use both ends, it takes me over a minute fo do a rj45 plug
correctly, by the time that's multiplied by what the client pays
and the parts are added in. it's cheaper to use one end of a pre-bult
cable, even it it means wasting a metre of cable in the middle.

And you get anti-snag and moulded strain relief for free

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Site Timeline