Stockstill - How does it work?

Used to immobilise large animals.

A known working unit outputs exactly the same as suspect one (which
has been wet and probably dried out since the owner tried to use it).

Output measures around 49 volt DC (Fluke DMM).  AC coupled CRO sees a
50 Hz 400 mV sawtooth.

Short of putting a clip on my nose and an electrode up my arse WTF
have I missed?

--
John H

Re: Stockstill - How does it work?

I have no idea how these things work, but you may have failed to
account for the load. Did you measure it open-circuit?
The ouput might be through a cap that has gone high ESR or something to
that effect, so the value will be the same for no load on a failed
unit.
Try loading down the ouput and see if there is a difference.

Dave :)

Re: Stockstill - How does it work?

Doh! there obviously can't be a cap on the output if you are getting DC
on the output, but the concept is the same. Load down the output and
see.

Dave :)

Re: Stockstill - How does it work?

Wonder how big that would have to be to carry a fully grown bull?

Alan :0)

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

Very interesting. I like this quote from the makers web-page :

"This immobilization is not stressful to the animals"

I suppose it wouldn't be very stressful to be confined in a chute, have a
torpedo shoved up your arse and then have your goolies cut off.

It's almost enough to make me turn vegetarian. As Bertrand Russel said
"Anyone who can't stand a visit to the slaughterhouse shouldn't eat meat."

PH

A: Because it drives Phylthy Phyllis psycho.
Q: What's a good reason to top post?

Re: Stockstill - How does it work?

  You ever seen beduzzers used ?

Re: Stockstill - How does it work?

Nope. What are they? Would Phylthy Phyllis like them?

PH

Re: Stockstill - How does it work?

Some apparently do....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdizzo