Steel tip on a cheap soldering iron

I bought a 40W soldering iron for $4.95 at Crazy Clark's for a temporary soldering job. It was a bit too hot which is what you'd expect at 40 Watts with a tip the same size as a 25 Watt iron but the real fly in the ointment was the silver coloured tip that turned out to be unplated: within a few minutes it was already pitted and looking crook with the solder being burnt by the extra heat.

I found some spring steel rod the same diameter and ground a cone tip on the bench grinder by spinning the steel in the battery drill. After fitting to the soldering iron it runs great: the lower conductivity of the iron tip cuts the heat nicely and doesn't overheat the solder at all, the tip manages to solder fine and only bogs down on a massive join as you'd expect with the lower thermal conductivity. All in all it made an unusable iron into quite a good one.

I'll have to try some other irons I have that need tips that I can't get locally. Dicky's doesn't seem to have tips for their budget irons although the one that might fit, with a shoulder machined on it, is $6.95 or half the cost of a budget iron.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Most of these cheap irons are not designed for soldering electronic components, rather more likely they are intended for stained glass work etc. The bottom line on the subject is you aren't going to be getting anything suitable for electronics work at these ridiculously low prices. Anyone half interested in doing a reasonable electronics soldering job will buy a temperature controlled iron of one sort or another. Gawd, even the old Weller TCP jobs would be more suitable by a country mile!

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

No arguments there, I think it was made for a lower voltage or it would have been better used for wood burning. Still for the price I'm happy with it, it'll be a good cheap spare.

Regards Mark

Reply to
Mark Harriss