Stay away from HP stuff

Hi, all

Just a bit of warning.
I used to think HP was good, until recently. Bought myself all-on-one
LaserJet 3050. Well, given all my experience I could not get the printer to
work reliable. Would print one page and the "document failed to print".
Comms to PC is completely broken. I will not go into too much details, but
HP software sucks big time.
Tried obvious things -- new drivers, formware update, etc. At some stage
playing with drivers, wonderful HP software killed all printing support to
the point I had to re-install Windows. Nothing helps.

Anyway, tried to talk to HP and here is where fun began. ALL HP technical
support is in India. I mean ALL of it. Nobody in Australia at all. Only
people who do hardware repair and they are not involved in software at all.
Bad quality of phone line and wonderful Indian accent you can barely
understand and no authority to decide on anything. Nothing but a bunch of
trained monkeys! (this is not a racial remark, but rather the way of
describing HP technical support level of confidence).
After almost 4 weeks of frustratuion I finally managed to get authorisation
to return the unit for a refund. Gave it back yesterday and money should
arrive in about a week or so.

Got myself a similar functionality Samsung and it actually works.

Anyway, think twice before getting an HP. If it works, you are in luck. If
it does not you are on your own.

Hope it will save someone lots of time.
Regards,
Rudolf

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

"Rudolf"

 **  Have a look at page 9 of the TV Week issue currently on sale.

 Full page ad from Optus boasting about their "On -call technical support ".

 Shows a monkey sliding down a steel pole.

 Hysterical.

.........   Phil

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

 Hahahah!

 you're not wrong!

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

The guy I get my computer gear from was telling me the other day about
someone who asked his help sorting out a HP printer or a scanner that
wouldn't re-install after they upgraded to WinXP. On contacting HP they were
told "we're not going to bother writing new drivers for XP - you'll have to
buy a new one", the person concerned did just that - but not from HP!

For some odd reason that story reminds me of HP sauce!

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

The trick with scanners and win xp is to use the microsoft scanner drivers
they actually work quite well.
Fine if you have one of the more popular brands or the scanner has a twain
interface.

Not problems with old scsi scanners as long as there are win 2000 drivers
for the adaptor card.

The hp mac scanner software actually works pretty well
the printer software is another story.

Alex

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I try to avoid hardware that needs proprietry drivers to work ( like the
cheaper HP printers (and many opher brands))

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

That would exlude just about every piece of hardware manufactured
these days.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

   Maybe he still uses a ASR33? ;-)

prove it.
Re: Stay away from HP stuff

On Sun, 07 May 2006 09:09:10 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

were

My first computer was the one before the microbee, the one that
arrived in kitform.... I remember stealing a transformer and
capacitors from my dad's work for the PSU.

Later on my dad scored one of the built microbee's with basic. Twas
awesome!

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

 On eof the best bits about them was that they had proper
keyboards!

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

not if you include monitors keyboards mice and disc/disk drives (most of which
will function at-least acceptably without special drivers)

I recently saw a announcement that a major player in
the wi-fi game had  released open source drivers..

printers with ethernet connections are often good too.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

were

I would strip that to mice and keyboards and dd's. But these days even
those use custom drivers, and yes, the drivers that ship with windows
are typically written by the manufacturers.

And?

printers with ethernet connections still use drivers written by the
manufacturers.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

were

the custom drivers for mice and keyboards don't generally enable new hardware
features just provide software that does stuff when a certain extra button is
pressed... the regular generic drivers I use here can already sense extra
buttons (where they use the regular protocol) and the user interface can be
configured do any extra stuff I could want...

one less field whare proprietary drivers will be needed...

often that's not needed.  many listen on IP port 515 and use the standard
print protocol. if the printer understands PCL or Postscript (or some other
standard data format) there's no need for proprietry drivers.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

Almost everything in fact.

MrT.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I use HP for everything, never once had a problem.

My current emplorer uses HP for everything, rarely do they have
issues. Considering we have around 100 hp servers, several HP sans and
I would dare to estimate 1000+ pc's that aint to bad. Add to this the
printers we sell to clients are ....... HP....

I guess you picked a bad one. Purchasing one faulty printer is hardly
good advice to avoid using the manufacturer.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

No - But piss-poor support is  :(

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:04:37 GMT, "Steve Andrew"

Find me a supplier with better support. I think you will find they are
all the same, probably reading the same FAQ that you will find on the
website.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

That is just simply not possible.  Their software is junk, just as the
OP said.  It always has been, nothing new there.

Let me guess, you have a corporate account with them.  I'm also going to
bet that you don't have to call India for support.   1000 pcs and 100
servers w/absolutely no problems.  Right.

I have spent scores (probably hundreds) of hours fighting HP crapware
since the early 90's.  The support now is really the worst, they will
disconnect you and then send an e-mail explaining how "technical
problems" interrupted the session.  This happens just as soon as their
scripts run out of canned responses for them.

As for the hardware quality, I saw a brand new 4100 (>$1000 US) print
one page then die of high-voltage failure.  I suggest that you need to
setup one of the wonderful new 7310 Officejet (>$400 US) in a shared
scanning environment if you really need to see for yourself just how bad
it really can be.  Perhaps you didn't know that HP censors posts from
their forum that mention things like this.  BTW, the 7310 problems are
very well known, yet HP still keeps selling them and their is no fix in
sight until the next M$ OS comes out.  Do you think that is reasonable?
Didn't you ever wonder why they have two sets of driver downloads for
the mid-range printers?

Don't get me wrong, not everything they have is junk.  Just all of their
home equipment and half of the "professional" stuff.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I have a heap of HP stuff too (at the moment 2 PCs,a camera, 2
Printers, a scanner and probably other things I have forgotten).
I must agree their online tech support since it went to India
has been a bit hit and miss and varies from excellent to
hopeless depending on who you get to.  I had one person that was
really good, knowledgeable and helpful while another women grasp
of English was so bad she was incomprehensible (and several
others whose Indian-English while understandable after some
interpretation, had me in fits).

 The last time on board sound died on the mother board of a new
Pavilion I was told numerous times to do the same thing
(re-install the drivers)  by numerous online support staff even
though I told them I had already done that 101 times. I then
rang the help number and to my great surprise second time around
got a Aussie based here who was very helpful and a AWA
technician turned up the next day, confirmed the mobo was faulty
and replaced it with a new one (the pain was having to uninstall
all the hardware and software I had installed as they required
it to be in its virgin as bought state).

However in the case of the first phone call I made, after
waiting 90 minutes in the HP call waiting queue on a Saturday
morning I was connected to another lady who was calling HP and
expected me to help her with her problem ( I was tempted as I
thought I could but knowing it would take a while to explain a
simple solution to someone who was rudely impatient and
apparently somewhat computer illiterate, I selfishly chose to
hang up and call again).  I was so long in the queue their
office hours were over and I expect some techo at HP with a
sense of humour just connected all the callers still waiting in
the queue to other queuing calls.

My admittedly perhaps somewhat illogical loyalty to HP stems
from the 80's when their stuff was excellent if somewhat
expensive.  I also think their website, in terms of online data
sources not necessarily  online help staff, is very useful if
sometimes a little difficult to navigate; most of what you want
is there it is just sometimes a little hard to find.

On balance while HP are not the centre of excellence they were
in the 80's still compare favourably in terms of value for
money, quality and service, to similar companies such as Dell.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

(snip)

That's the standard problem with help desks - they know f-all about the product
and barely enough to follow a script.  Even the "on-shore" ones I have had the
misfortune to need to contact (D-Link, 3Com/USR and Acer) were simply
script-jockeys.

(more snip)

Totally agree.

They aren't a shadow of the outfit they were in the 80's.

<O/T>  Interesting you mentioned Dell.  I've never held their stuff in any
regard, but a mate recently sent me his P2-300 laptop to set up to run some
(yes, really) DOS apps under 98SE.  Sent the vanilla 98CD too, and said i could
blow the lot away and reinstall if necessary.  the machine was a mess so I did
reinstall.  Then started hunting for drivers (video etc etc).  Found the Dell
website to be an absolute pleasure and full of all the stuff I could want.  Far
cry from my last search at the HP site for a simple printer driver.  Dell1 HP 0.

Site Timeline