Split System Air Conditioner

Does anyone know if these are installable without a lisenced installer? From my understanding, they are a standard powerpoint plug? Can anyone confirm this?

In particular, this is a 1HP Mistral split system .. Is it something that just wired into power and has a pipe put thru the wall to the outside unit?

Thanks in advance!

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Lord-Data

**Are all the lines charged? If they're not, you'll need to pay someone to evacuate the system and charge it. Wiring it up is child's play. Of course, you SHOULD employ a professional for this too.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The split system I had installed was gassed on site after all the plumbing was put in. The power was the easy bit. I believe there's an expansion valve in the wall unit and a compressor and heat exchanger outside.

Reply to
swanny

No licence required to install a domestic a/c -- unless the police states have different rules. Wiring changes will need a licenced electrician, who isn't likely to be the best person to commission it. There's no reason why you can't run a small unit from a 10A GPO (check its starting current from the spec sheet).

Ours (Daikin) came with the refrigerant charge (R22) pre-installed in the compressor unit -- which is pretty much standard AFAIK. After connecting the pipes it's necessary to evacuate the wall unit and pipes and leak test before opening the valves on the outside unit. I did my own using automotive a/c equipment (no licence required for that either) -- electrician wired it as it's a largish unit (3kW IIRC).

Be particulary wary of installers who don't use a vacuum pump (heaps don't). The cheapskate trick is to use some of the refrigerant in the compressor to flush the evaporator. Not only will you finish up with a reduced charge containing air and moisture -- you'll also void the manufacturer's warranty. FWIW the electrician who wired ours thought that was the correct way as it was the only way he'd previously seen it done.

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

From

unit?

Assuming you want to know the legal side of it: Needs fixed wiring complying with AS/NZ 3000 so rules say must use an electrician (all states).

Flaring of lines required for refrigerant, also have to open valves to release R22, so by law supposed to have someone accredited to use refrigerants.

Having said that, everyone thinks they can do it anyhow, just like fixing your own car!.

BTW, the Mistral units are about as good as LG! Cheers.

Reply to
Blutt
[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Lord-Data

and the hoses are optional extra, good luck trying to buy any.

Reply to
Ed ()

seems

As someone else mentioned the lines 'should' be pulled down with a vac pump to ensure all air is removed.

The method outlined above sounds like "purging", works but not the correct way to do the job. ( have to wonder what the EPA would say about HFC's being released into the atmosphere!)

than

Hoses will turn out to be annealed copper tubing, liquid line probably 1/4 inch gas line either 3/8 or 1/2". You get to make your own flares on the pipes as well.

fixing

Just a smart alek comment :-) LG doesn't have the best reputation..

Should be fine, I didn't mean to insinuate it was a POS per se, just that its not the best brand available. Having said that Mistral have good warranty and won't be gone tomorrow if it does develop a fault.

Cheers.

Reply to
Blutt

If you have to handle refrigerant (which you will either purging/vacuuming/charging your system)

Any fixed wiring has to done by a licensed electrical contractor.

All that aside, there are few things to be aware of when installing splits:

  1. make sure the service valves (gas and liquid lines) are opened fully on commissioning
  2. take particular care when installing the drain, as this pipe is under a slight vacuum from the head blower, any slight elevation will cause the pipe to block backing up condensate to leak from the head.
3.never pull on the liquid/gas line at the head as they facture easily 4.it is easiest to install the head on a wall that is common with the building exterior for the purpose of the drain. 5.allow the condensate to drain into a tundish before connecting to a sewer

From

unit?

Interests ]

Reply to
Lance Ryan

ROFLMA

He could always move to Queensland which has no licensing requirement (as well as a lack of federal agents engaged in the detection such offences). :)

Or else move to R290, which isn't a CFC, HCFC, HFC, PFC or halon, and isn't therefore covered by the above legislation, and will no doubt become a popular alternative in the police states after July 1. It's performance is similar, if not superior to R22 (which is currently being phased out for a vastly inferior alternative).

R290 is not only endorsed by Greenpeace, it's also so widely available that most households already have at least one 9kg container on hand.

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

Yeah, should make leak testing a lot easier too, if you smoke that is ;o)

Lance

Reply to
Lance Ryan

There is now .

sorry wrong again

its also Illegal in QLD above quite a small volume Im told It's

Reply to
UhU

Seems to have gone the complete loop, NH3 and R290 were the primary refrigerants used before Freon..... I think the motivation away from ammonia, propane,and petrol ether was an obvious one then, I wonder why not now?

Lance

Reply to
Lance Ryan