split aircons at aldi/bunnings

I was looking at the low cost split aircons at Bunnings on a pallete for $599 and now I see the latest Aldi catalog has a cheap reverse cycle split system for $599. Q; Can you set this up at home with no vacuum equipment? How do you connect the copper tubing between the outside compressor and split system inside with no special equipment? I cant open the box to read the manual before buying and the bunnings sales person just says, yes no problem setting up at home if you are handy..

thanks

Reply to
syd bluemountains

I can't suggest it's possible and you will introduce air , now it may be vacuumed already but dependent on state law you ma by law need a trady to install at least the connection

--
Reply to
atec77

cost split aircons at Bunnings on a pallete

A friend bought some self-install systems at Super A mart about

2004.

In this particular case, the gas was stored under pressure in the compressor, the piping was then installed, and the gas released (a tap or screw on the outside to open the outlet?) .

According to the manual, if the tubing was a short run as supplied (3-4 metre or so tubing was supplied with fittings already installed at each end) there was no need to evacuate the pipes of air first as this wouldn't cause any significant problem. (if you wanted longer runs - it would need to be done).

The pipes were installed and the gas released into them. All is still working fine.

Note that it was critical to ensure that no dirt or crap got into the pipes. The end caps had to be left on until fitting to keep them clean.

Note that apart from this, if you are doing large units, you will need to run power to them. If it is over 10a, and there isnt a suitable socket already there, you will need to install - or have an electrician install a suitably rated (15A, 20A, 25A) power point and circuit in the fuse box.

Alternately it would need to be hard wired.

Reply to
kreed

Just an idea, could it be that they are like these?

TonyS

I doubt it,the Aldi ones are split units and those are fiddly freestanding self contained portable units.

Reply to
F Murtz

Yes the Bunnings guy said you just release the tap to pressurize the tubes, so maybe its pretty simple if you dont get crap in the lines as you say.

Here is the Aldi link on sale this Wednesday. Need to compare which unit is better, Aldo or Bunnings.

6.4kW cooling power, would this indicate it needs about 25 amps??
Reply to
syd bluemountains

Totally different, this is portable crap and Aldi's could be low quality but real split system - will work good for some time. The only question is how long is some time, it can vary a lot with Aldi products. Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'd take a closer look at the warranty before committing.

In the event of a problem arising relating to the gas during installation - will they honour the warranty if you are not a qualified installer?

Reply to
Jeßus

**No. The 6.4kW figure is the EQUIVALENT cooling power of the device. Somewhere on the unit, and/or in the manual, will be the power consumption rating. This will likely lie between 2kW and 2.4kW. Modern air conditioners are usually far more than 100% efficient. Of more concern to you SHOULD be what the real figures are. Disreputable CHinese manufacturers have been known to exagerate the figures obtainable with their products.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I should think this needs a proper tradie to install for electrical and connection or there wont be a warranty as specified somewhere in tiny writing

--
Reply to
atec77

Why cant you open the box? Just do it

David

Reply to
David

I can't do it but you might be able to if you have the required license.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Almost anybody should be capable of installing one of these but there are restrictions on who is allowed.but people are installing them all the time and get away with it . But if you make a mistake and have to get a refrig tech to regas it will cost a fortune because they know you are up a tree without a paddle. I had a second hand one given me and I filled it with R290 which is propane and it works perfectly.

Reply to
F Murtz

I had a similar occurrence . I asked to inspect the article before I purchased........There were none on display. I asked the assistant(?) , who refused to open the box. I asked for the manager. Eventually he turned up and agreed to open the box to allow me to take measurements and glance the manual. It is after all your right to view before you purchase

Reply to
Metro

Hardly a right. At most you can indicate that if you can't view, then you won't purchase.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You are correct. But I'm sure the manufacturer would agree,the manager certainly did. Incidentally, many of these cheap A/C's use aluminium piping instead of copper which makes it very difficult and expensive to repair if you get a gas leak.

Reply to
Metro

Welding aluminium being not for the faint hearted.

Could one replace all the piping with copper at install time, albeit at some cost?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not the aluminium in the condensor and evaporator if they use it there

Reply to
F Murtz

cost split aircons at Bunnings on a pallete

BTW was there the other day, the length of the refrigeration pipe as supplied was 3.5 metre. He said that it is not practical to shorten the pipes as they are pre- flared at the ends, and modern units use a very hard type of pipe that is very hard to make a flared end in compared to the older types of refrigeration pipe.

As such, you would have to coil up any excess pipe somewhere convenient if you are to install such a system.

It is illegal for anyone in QLD who isnt a licensed installer to install these DIY systems though it is frequently done. He said that his were done before this law came in, but the supplier still removed the DIY part of the manual from the box before sale

In this case, the internet was a great help with this, or if you get the right person at Bunnings.

Remember too with Aldi, there is a 3 month return/refund policy on ANY item you buy there, so you can buy a unit, check it out and if it looks a big drama, then return it (though if you release the gas, you might not be able to).

I have never had a problem taking anything back there.

Reply to
kreed

cost split aircons at Bunnings on a pallete

rubbish, :) just anneal the pipe if it is too hard.

Reply to
F Murtz